ground pitch/slope

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

ground pitch/slope

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:22 pm

Ok I have been haveing lots of trouble with one particular hole on my local course. No matter what I throw or how well I throw it they all turn over. I was starting to think maybe I was just getting screwed by the headwind thats usually on this hole but today there was almost zero wind, I threw a brand new valk which is always overstable for me, and it turned right over into the woods. new viking, turned right into the woods. new gazelle, turned right into the woods. the only thing that doesnt end up right is stuff thats extremely overstable for me like my firebird (which I cant get out far enough to work), I can stand in an open level field and not turn over some of these same disc even if Im trying. I have lost a significant amount of discs on this hole and I can not seem to figure out whats going on. the ground on this fairway does slope down towards the right and I was wondering if maybe that in some way affects it, air pressure or something? shot in the dark I know but Im really getting irritated on this hole. Im thinking of taking a level to check the tee next round :lol:
here is a link to a picture of the whole in question. any ideas?
http://www.huntingtondiscgolf.com/pic.php?pic=images/Rotary3.jpg[/url]
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:43 pm

does the teepad slope? Is it one of the few long holes, and youre trying to throw too hard? I dont think the plane of the ground effects flight too much.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 pm

its like 275 which is right about my average max drive. Its also hole number 3 so maybe It is that I am not yet warmed up and trying a little too hard. Just seems odd that discs I normaly cant turn over even with alot of anhyzer turn right over on this one. The tee pad doesnt seem sloped... im just running out of ideas :lol: At this point Im pretty sure the problem is completely mental as I hate the hole so much, the ground slope idea was a last ditch effort to solve the problem without a shrink. on the upside, after looking for that new valk for about 30 min today I found the viking I lost there last weekend. you cant see it in the pic but there is a tree on the right with a lot of vines in it that usually eats my disc when this happens. in fact I have a long tree branch leaning against it now to retrieve ones that get stuck to high to shake out.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:10 pm

is that the basket straight ahead, and what line are you intending to take on these throws?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:29 pm

yes thats the basket right in the middle. I used to try anhyzer out high to the left but there is usually a headwind so it never fades back. then for a while I was doing a hyzer-flat with mid rangers which was also getting turned often by the headwind (or so I though). Lately Ive been using my jls or ls and just trying to get it straight, hugging the treeline so it fades back towards the basket, which works ok but I cant normally get my max d out of it (i guess its kind of a sweeping hyzer but I do it with flat release just aiming right a bit). when I try with things that I can get out farther on that line (viking, gazelle, cyclone, eagle) they turn every time. I thought it was the headwind catching them on the high speed turn portion of the flight (which is almost non existant on the faster disc's) but it did it every throw today with zero wind. which brings me to another question ive been meaning to ask, why can I s curve a viking with a flat release but not a jls/ls/valk?! dirty your just going to have to come play a few rounds with me and show me what Im doing wrong so I dont keep bugging you with all my questions :oops:
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:37 pm

I think a sweeping hyzer would be the best route. Generally I like to preach throwing away from hazards/ob, so the forest on the right may not be ob, but you dont want to be in it, so anything that turns toward it and has more a chance to flip is a bad Idea, because then youre throwing toward the obstacle. A while a hyzer bends away, this is even more the idea when playing around water, because you can usually throw over the water so the disc comes comes in away from the hazard.
This may become a situation where the safe shot that ends up short is better than the risk shot that has a chance to park it. I would say it sounds like your viking if thrown on the line you throw the jls/ls on may be your best bet (you do think the viking is more stable than the jls right?) mabey a touch of hyzer depending on your power, but either way thats the line I would throw on that hole.
You could also consider a flex shot with a moderately overstable disc, throwing your anny line (not the best way into the wind, but if theres wind take some anny off the disc and be aware of the flip) and playing it out to the left of the pin intentionally.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:51 pm

you do think the viking is more stable than the jls right?

thats why I mentioned it, I know it is, but I can not get the jls to high speed turn from a flat release where as I can do it with a viking almost every time, even moreso than when I throw one of the valks which should be easier to turn correct? according to the ratings this should not be possible but thats what happens. As much as I dislike the way dx plastic tears up Im starting to think you guys are right, I should just stick with it. It just seems hard to get used to a mold when it changes every time it hits something.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:58 pm

the viking is dx too? They new will be more stable than a jls, but the jls is pretty durable, try throwing the viking w/ a bit of hyzer, it should carry.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 pm

how far can you throw a thumber and or tommy? a tommy would be perfect, but a thumber would work. Theyre a good kind of, I dont know what to throw so I will throw this.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 pm

I absolutely suck at anything other than rhbh. Thats something I really need to work on.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:50 pm

RHBH is still probably the ideal line for that hole, unless you have a wicked LHFH ;-)

what funny is I know a guy who can LHFH and RHBH, but not RHFH or LHBH, so for him a hyzer will go the same way wether he sidearms it or not!
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby rehder » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:18 am

LOL thats funny
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daniebl2 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:24 am

what funny is I know a guy who can LHFH and RHBH, but not RHFH or LHBH, so for him a hyzer will go the same way wether he sidearms it or not!

That's me exactly.
daniebl2
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:21 am

Something that I have noticed is that when I turn a disc over accidentally or because of a headwind; I sometimes sub consciously do it later.

There is a hole on my course that I had never had a problem with until one day. There was a head wind which was weird for the hole, and the disc got turned over the fence into a field.

Now on occasions, I find that I turn the disc here.

I have the opposite problem on a hole that comes before that one; that is, I always overdo the hyzer and finish way left.

I believe my problem is subconsious.

Question for you, your discs aren't beat to the point they are understable are they?

The other question would be about your grip. I hold on to my discs sometimes a little too long, which will make them turn over.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:26 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:The other question would be about your grip. I hold on to my discs sometimes a little too long, which will make them turn over.

This may be a bit OT for this thread, but if you're using a power grip, you souldn't be consiously "letting go" of your discs at all. They just rip out of your hand at the right time. If they aren't ripping at the right time then your timing may be off (pulling too early) or you might not have your weight forward enough.
garublador
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Technique