Standing Throw

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Standing Throw

Postby mothrows » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 pm

I've read this forum and the pdga for a couple of months now and I can't find an answer to the problem that I've been having. I can throw as far standing (300ft) almost as far as I can with my x step (320). Try as I might, I can't figure out why this is happening. If this is normal I would love to know, because it seems like I should be throwing tons farther with my x step. I have tried many different discs and also speeding up and slowing down my x step. I don't get it! I'm 6'3 and reasonably healthy (around 240) it seems like I should be able to throw farther. Anyway, I love this website and any help given would be greatly appreciated.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:30 am

well, it does look like you are getting a 6-7% distance increase by using the x-step :)

basically, your x-step may not be getting as much out of your hips as possible.

the x-step SHOULD give a substantial increase in hip rotation/explosion, which in turn SHOULD generate more arm acceleration.

i would suggest looking at the videos of some of the bigger throwing pros to see what i am talking about.

i know for some people that have a good stationary throw, they often get less hip rotation when they use an x-step, but that is due to having a poor x-step. the directions your toes point during the x-step is critical in priming your hips and allowing for a free range of motion/rotation.

you would probably be better off building an x-step FROM your stationary throw. e.g. the way your legs interact during the cross step to pivot step should feel similar to when you throw without a runup.

btw, if you are strong-arming the throw without leading with your larger muscle groups, it would make sense that the x-step isn't adding much power.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mothrows » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Could you be more specific about how to build my x step off of my stationary throw please. Also, how much farther on average, should I be throwing with the x step as compared to throwing standing? Thanks for all of your help.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 am

this article kind of outlines it, both from a timing and form standpoint:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ored.shtml

basically, see how your hips move when you throw stationary. now take 1 step and make sure your hips move in the same way. now take 2 steps (starting with a cross step with your left foot) and make sure your hips fire in the same way. then add a 3rd step and make sure your hips move in the same way.

when i performed the set of drills outlined in the article, i found i added 27% distance on average from no steps to 3 (280' to 355'). when i added 2 more leading steps to the x-step it bumped it up to more like 390'ish, but my accuracy decreased.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mothrows » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks a bunch. I'm looking forward to giving it a go this weekend!
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique