Suggestions?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Suggestions?

Postby Snarf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi,

I've been practicing throws with a pal for a couple of months, and have started to throw a little bit better. However, the improvement has been only slight and I'm still frustrated by throws that fly too high, curve to the left, and then crash to the ground.

I have, however, found one way to get my throws to be somewhat level: I hold the frisbee on the pullback so that it is perpendicular to the ground with my hand under it.

When I release it in this manner it comes out fairly straight and doesn't do the left-crash-and-burn thing.

This is clearly the wrong way to throw the frisbee though, so I'm wondering if any of you pros can use this to suggest what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks
Snarf
Noob

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Check out the articles on the main page of this sight about throwing with the nose down and grip. I had similar problems a short time ago.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 pm

definately an issue w/ nose angles. read the articles on nose angles and previous discussions here so you can learn to keep the nose down.

When a disc flies with the nose up air gets underneath the the flight plate and slows it down, and forces the disc higher.
When a disc slows down it fades.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:19 pm

It's hard to diagnose your problem without watching you throw. However I will try to give some guidance based on what is common among beginners.

1. Avoid a lot of forward lean (upper body) or dipping your throwing shoulder. Stand more erect with some weight on your heels.
2. Try to bring the disc accross your chest on a level plane. The throwing arm should be the same level as opposite armpit. Dipping down to your waist will often result in a hyzer angle and the disc is more likely to stall to the left quickly.
3. Your thumb should be close to the edge of the disc, this goes along way towards keeping the nose of the disc down and limit the amount of nose up drag.

Occassionally do some field practice to experiment and to tweak your technique. It's a lot easier to fix faults when you don't have to worry about missing a fairway, holding up a group or having to yell fore.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Terrence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:02 pm

I would like to reiterate one tip roadkill suggested: stand straight up. Picture your spine as an axis that you're spinning on. To help keep your axis straight, hold your chin up level with your target throughout your entire throw, from your footwork to your full followthrough. You should also spin on the ball of your plant foot (Right foot for a right hand backhand throw) during your follow through. If you're stopping dead flat for a follow through you're not getting your weight forward which will cause the disc to stall and fade hard left.

Head to a vacant field by yourself and practice some drives with your focus specificly on standing up straight (but relaxed) and a full follow through. Remember, you're not trying to chuck it out there 400' every throw, so don't put all of your power on each throw.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:42 pm

i am going to disagree here...

the spine is rarely if ever the axis of rotation and is almost a sure-fire way to develop a technique with off axis torque or late release anhyzers to get the nose down.

my first suggestion is to work with easy to throw drivers with a narrow wing. nothing wider than 1.7cm or so. this basically = drivers developed before 2000 (cyclone, polaris ls, cheetah, gazelle, eagle, etc.).

the wider the wing, the more nose angle sensitive the disc is.

second suggestion is to work with a pull that goes across the top of your stomach, but you will need to lean forward late in the throw to keep the pull line constant. if your weight is back the pull plane will swing upwards and result in a nose up throw. the goal is to keep the swing plane constant (this does not necessarily mean flat).

if your swing plane is constant but you are still getting the nose up, then you likely are throwing with your weight back.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique