Drives release too early

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drives release too early

Postby Drew » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:17 pm

I seem to be releasing my discs early mostly off the tee, but sometimes from midrange. even when i do a good job of keeping the disc flat i release the disc early out in front of me (for a rhbh toss) the disc comes out about even with my left shoulder and breaks hard left. i can do a good job of keeping the disc flat sometimes, but I do have trouble releasing with too much upswing exposing the disc and taking it off its line breaking into a hyzer. I do not know what i can do to ensure an even release, when i try to be sure to hold on to the disc i end up holding on too long and turning over the disc, or releasing too late resulting in a high hyzer line. if anyone has any advice to help keep me from releasing my disc too early it would be much appreciated. thank you
Drew
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 am

The timing of release has more to do with alignment and body mechanics than grip or anything you're doing with your hands.

If you search this site you can probably find Blake's advice on this issue.

The most common culprit of early release I see in players is faulty footwork and alignment. The direction that your feet are lined up towards will weigh heavily on the direction of your throw. If you draw a line through the balls of your feet more than likely this is the direction of your throw. Often times players close their stance too much in the backswing or during their steps leading up to their throw leaving their foot alignment pointed left of their intended target (rhbh).

Once you become aware of your footwork the other thing you may want to do is slow down your steps and backswing. The tendency for many players is to backswing too fast. You want an acceleration from forward swing through release and this is difficult to achieve with a fast backswing and this hurts both power and control.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby garublador » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 am

Here are some good things to look out for:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... html#early
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 pm

a few culprits for early release:

-starting your pull too late after your pivot foot hits the ground.

-arm "lag" where your elbow doesn't get through quickly enough causing the left shoulder to push the disc out of your hand during rotation.

-weak grip.

-your left shoulder comes through too much too early and pushes the disc out.

i'm going to wager it is probably caused by the fourth option and related to not getting your weight forward.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique