Driving without a run up

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving without a run up

Postby domromer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Does anyone drive without a run up? The guy who taught me how to play, said lean to throw first then worry about your run up. well I can throw pretty well now. 350-400max. But I walk to the front of the pad then throw from a full stop. lately I've been trying to teach myself a run-up but I can't control it at all.

So I guess the meat of my question is, are there other people that play well with no run-up, or do I need to teach my self?
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: Driving without a run up

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 pm

domromer wrote: well I can throw pretty well now. 350-400max. But I walk to the front of the pad then throw from a full stop.

That's far enough unless you want to go for the distance record.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: Driving without a run up

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:08 am

the invisible tree wrote:
domromer wrote: well I can throw pretty well now. 350-400max. But I walk to the front of the pad then throw from a full stop.

That's far enough unless you want to go for the distance record.

I agree that is smoked for a pure snap throw.

I have been going the ooposite that you speak. Eliminating run up.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

hmm

Postby plshrk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:19 am

You can throw 400' with little to no run up? Either you have perfect form or you are brute strengthing that disc.
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby domromer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 am

probably brute strength. I think I will try a couple steps so I can finess it more. Plus I don't have any follow through and I read you can hurt yourself if you just stop at the end of a throw, knock on wood that hasn't happend yet, but I'd feel pretty stupid pulling a muscle.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jones » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:43 pm

I don't see how you could throw a stationary 400 foot throw without any follow through?!
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Amateur » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I can usually get my max golf D with my Buzzz thrown stationary. It is not always a good golf line but I can push 300 with no runup, all anhyzer D and glide.

A run up might hurt your game at this point. I'd just take it slow if I were you. And I would have more birdies if I were you too :wink: .
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:03 am

a runup always adds potential. harnessing that potential is up to the player.

400' is fine D, but it depends on what disc.

the advantage of D is that you can throw more accurate/slower discs to reach holes that other people have to throw faster discs.

e.g. throwing a teebird on a 380' hole vs. throwing a wraith. advantage = teebird.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby domromer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 am

I understand what you mean by harnessing power. I'm going to play a big grassy course today where I can pratice my run up, withouth the fear of loosing too many discs.

When I said I can throw 350-400max, that with no aim at all, My best distance with good aim is about 300.

So my goal is to be able to throw 400 through the tight woods. Not a wide open field.

I like the thought about throwing a t-bird vs Wraith for maximum D, I never thought of it that way but it does make a lot os sense.

I'm glad I've found this board. seems to have quite a feel people with a lot of knowledge. It's a great place for newer players like myself
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Mark56 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:23 pm

domromer wrote:probably brute strength. I think I will try a couple steps so I can finess it more. Plus I don't have any follow through and I read you can hurt yourself if you just stop at the end of a throw, knock on wood that hasn't happend yet, but I'd feel pretty stupid pulling a muscle.

haha. this is funny because the other day i was bored. so i went to school with ACE wrap around my right hand and I told all my teachers I pulled a ligiment playing disc golf so I was in a lot of pain...4/7 teachers believed me. not bad.
Mark56
Noob

Postby roadkill » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Throwing from a standstill is a good skill to have and is essential if you want to be competitive in all conditions (weather) and situations (lies).

Having a fluid run up however should add to your game definitely not hurt it.

Personally I don't throw all that far (350 ish) but I am pretty consistent in my accuracy up to 330. I've been using an X step since the thing had a name (about 1988).

It takes practice and you're probably better off starting slower until your get good rythmn and coordination. When I first learned it I actually rehearsed the steps without a disc. This way you can practice it over and over without wearing yourself down. I would have ten discs and go out to a soccer field. I would do five x step rehearsals then let one rip and then five rehearsals and let one rip. I pretty much had it down within 10 days.

My accuracy is better with steps in the 200'+ range about the same in 160-200 range and better with a one step or no step under 160.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm

lol
...and 3/7 didnt believe there was a sport called disc golf...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:57 am

I'm going to pracice in a field, I did some on a grassy course this weekend and it was a mess, I was going too fast and sending the disk all over the place. The only good throw I had was where I slowed the steps down and released the disk pretty easy. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it down
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 am

domromer wrote:The only good throw I had was where I slowed the steps down and released the disk pretty easy. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it down

That's the key to getting it. Don't worry about distance at first. Just do nice smooth steps and throw about 50-60% power. Once you get a feel for the rythmn and your accuracy is consistent you can dial up the power later.

Control first, power later.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 am

sounds like the right idea!
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Technique