Driving without a run up

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby superq » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:29 am

The one thing that always helps me no matter what the issue is with my tee game is to forget about everything else and focus 100% on my follow through.

I find that no matter where the glitch is if I focus on following through correctly I will throw good shots. When I changed my footwork I went back to the follow through to finish off the metamorphiss ( went from an x step where I shuffled my left foot in front of my right I am RHBH)

When I changed to all gateway plastic I went to the follow through (I changed my entire bag in one day)

When I lost 60 lbs in 4 months I went to the folowthrough.

Basicly my theory is that for me I follow through three different ways depending on the shot -

1. for flat throws that need to not finish one way or the other I pull straight through and concentrate on pivioting on the ball of my right foot keeping my weight forward and my arm level as I pull through and spin

2. for hyzer shots and hyzer flip bombs I folow through with an upward arm swing and spin on the ball of my foot trying to match my arm angle to the angle I want the disc to fly on.

3. for Anhyzer and rollers I try to follow through with almost a downward arm angle and I spin on the heel of my foot as I come through. when I throw these shots I usually release them with more open hips than for any other shot I throw so focusing on the follow through allows me to rip the disc out on time and not be trying to guide the shot.

This works for me and when that is all I am thinking about my game off the tee is very solid. I think it is applicable since I really dont change anything when I am not using a run up I am still trying to be very concious about the follow through. I have been playing for over 10 years now if my body does not know what to do leading up to me being in a fllow through position I have bigger problems, and when I help new people I really stress to them "Lets figure out how to get you into a strong position to follow through" basicly build a throw that gets you into the correct position and you will be sucessfull.

my .03
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:43 am

superq wrote:( went from an x step where I shuffled my left foot in front of my right I am RHBH)

Off topic but you do realize that for rhbh the left foot goes behind the right foot, right? The whole purpose of an x step is to rotate hips in conjunction with shoulder away from target then towards the target. By crossing your left foot in front it prohibits correct hip rotation.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:00 am

yeah my right foot ends up front when I'm doing the x-step
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby bigs348 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am

roadkill wrote:
superq wrote:( went from an x step where I shuffled my left foot in front of my right I am RHBH)

Off topic but you do realize that for rhbh the left foot goes behind the right foot, right? The whole purpose of an x step is to rotate hips in conjunction with shoulder away from target then towards the target. By crossing your left foot in front it prohibits correct hip rotation.

I think he was saying he changed from that (I'm assuming after he realized it wasn't correct.)
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby domromer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:48 pm

wow! What a difference an x-step makes. I went out to my local course and practiced throwing with an xstep. Some of my throws in the beginning went all over the place, at about the 5th hole, I managed to get the run up and the throw to mesh. I had some great shots, I found I was able to throw my max distance with 60% the power I usually use. I also had my longest throw ever. I'm glad I finally thought to try the xstep. Hopefully I can stay consistent. I'm playing my first tournament this weekend.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:10 pm

I almost always step (I do regularly practice without a step) but I like to get my body moving in the direction of my throw. This makes stepping a very important part of my aiming.
Hower this adds a problem. For instance theres a course in CO (birds nest) where many of the tees are narrow and have mounds of dirt on each side, making a diagonal runup rather hard :-?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Eric O » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:19 pm

I usually start my X-step from a full stop and go through it pretty deliberately until it's time to unwind and let it rip.

Lately I have been messing with adding one leading step to go into the X-step with forward momentum. I was kind of surprised to find that this enables me to throw with more weight forward and nose down. I am also able to get a little extra distance this way.

So far that is all to the good. The trade off has to be at the expense of accuracy I would think. But so far the only real noticeable difference is that I have to release with more hyzer angle because the additional nose down causes more turn. The point to all this is that I would have expected greater loss of accuracy going into the throw with a little run up than with none at all, but it isn't really playing out that way. Should I just count myself lucky to be seeing positive results and go with it or is there somethign I am not seeing?
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Technique