Learning to get more weight forward

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning to get more weight forward

Postby akfrolfer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Its getting chilly up here in Alaska and with school I havent been able to get out much but I was able to get out today and I had a couple of problems. I've noticed that I definately don't get enough weight forward over my plant foot. Are there any things to think about to learn how to get more weight forward everytime or is more of just trying to do it until it becomes second nature? I also noticed when trying to do this I was pulling everything to the right with a anhyzer. I think this was because for some reason when I'm trying to get my weight forward it forces my pull through to be higher chest area instead of a little above my stomach? I was able to get everything to come together a few times and actually out drove two holes I'd never been able to reach before.
Suggestions?
Thanks
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby twincitiesdg » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:12 am

If the weight forward thing is a big problem try thinking about stomping your plant foot. It doesn't have to be a hard stomp, just enough so that you are conciously getting on the plant foot. While doing this, picture yourself falling over your plant foot forward. Literally, convince yourself that you are going to fall forward. When you watch skilled players with good form you will notice that their opposite foot comes off the ground. If you think about "falling forward" your opposite foot/leg comes off the ground to compensate and help you keep your balance. Also, I would guess your getting late/right releases because as you are getting your weight forward, the rest of your motion is being sped up a bit. Try to slow down your upper body and pull through with your arm, let your arm whip and initiate the follow through. Try these things one at a time and then if you are having success with them try to put them together as a whole set. The two that helped me the most were the "falling over(forward)" and the "foot stomp". I wish I could explain the concepts better, but its easier in person.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:56 am

pulling discs to the right is indicative of pulling through too early. You're starting your pull through before your plant foot is on the ground and its causing you to have a late release and not get your weight foward
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:01 am

I have been working on this alot too. lean with intent toward the desired line is what blake says, and that is definitly helping. One thing I do alot of is practicing the steps/pullthroug in slow motion standing in my living room. Im talking really slow. It helps me get a good idea for timing ect without having to run after errant throws all day. No substitute for the real thing but it does seem to help prepare me, and by they time I get to doing real throws Im able to focus more on the whole thing and not just the one part I'm having trouble with.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:00 pm

pulling discs to the right can also be caused by weight back.

i wouldn't recommend stomping as it can cause jamming of the pivot foot, and in some extreme cases, i've seen heel bruising.

i will second the falling forward feeling idea.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique