Snap and recoil

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby rehder » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:25 am

Well Im definitly going to continue working on it. I think Im still having grip issues. And Im thinking about trying out some other grips than the powergrip. My index finger feels jammed/sprained a couple of days after I have been out throwing and I have gotten a buildup of "tough/thick?" skin on the side of my index finger. I think Blake talked somewhere that this is the result of more of a slide than a rip.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:41 am

rehder wrote:Well Im definitly going to continue working on it. I think Im still having grip issues. And Im thinking about trying out some other grips than the powergrip. My index finger feels jammed/sprained a couple of days after I have been out throwing and I have gotten a buildup of "tough/thick?" skin on the side of my index finger. I think Blake talked somewhere that this is the result of more of a slide than a rip.

I could be wrong, and if I am then please point out so. My hands are larger than most, ie: I can pick up a wizard off the table by palming it, and my index finger never really fits in anything shallower than a gazelle. I have a callous that I use a pumice stone on, and this is awesome compared to the blisters I would get when it slipped more off my finger. Changing my grip to the Ver. 2 power grip helped a lot for me as it seated the disc better in my hand and oriented something in my mechanics that made it easy to wrap the index finger around. I still would suggest trying different grips out as well.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

Holy moly, that IS a large hand....No mine isnt that big at all...Id say from indexfinger to base of hand its 7 inches. So more on the smaller side. AFAIK the thing with the grip is, that you want to have your rip finger perpendicular to the rim, this has proven itself impossible for me though if I still want the disc in the seam of my hand. I think Blake said this somewhere.

I hvae tried both forms of the powergrip shown, but both produce the callous on the side of the knuckle of the index finger.
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:53 am

I had to change orientation in my hand to have the the disc follow a line from index/middle finger web to slightly below palm crease. I am able to have a more freely moving wrist, cleaner releases and i dont gouge my thumb knuckle any more from my middle finger recoiling and having the nail dig in.
edit: This did not impare nose down throws, and in fact helped me get more nose down :?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:24 pm

I just read this thread all the way through for a second time and I have to say it is helping my throw alot too. after hearing it explained 10 different ways its finally starting to understand :lol:

not everyone throws with bent elbow, as a straight reach back tends to breed improper strength focus and timing (people go for whip power instead of finish power).

I play with a guy that does a fred flintstone runup and keeps his arm perfectly straight. He has some decent distance (around 325 on a good toss) but his accuracy is not to great.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Amateur » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:37 am

I throw smaller diameter discs with a fork grip and use a 3 finger power grip with my pinky off on my D drivers. I just recently realized how to use your hips and body in a throw. OMG :shock: .

The steps in the X step arent just for your feet. The first step should close your hips, the second step should be getting weight forward, the third step is accellerating through the throw (which should happen effortlesly as your hips spin your body through the throw) and following through (which should happen if you spun your hips and don't want to fall :wink: ).

It took me 6 months to learn and utilize this. My D grows every day.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Weebl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Blakes last post explaining snap got me, I have been primarily a whip thrower and I am now trying to work on snapping it more.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:03 pm

Blakes last post explaining snap got me, I have been primarily a whip thrower and I am now trying to work on snapping it more

Im with you there. Now I can almost reach my previous max distance standing still. Its making a big difference on being able to perfect my runup as I can now do it in extreme "slow motion" and hit the same distances with much more consistancy.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Weebl » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:59 am

I got an instant increase in distance with my putters and mid ranges, drivers too.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby OldTyme » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Quick question I'm not sure has covered.

When pulling through, do you want to stop the wrist (aka like snapping a towel) ?

Is that "snap" ?

If so. How do you stop the wrist, but continue to follow through with your arm?

I have to be doing something wrong. I can arm a disc some decent distance, but I've been stuck at 275' like forever.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:55 pm

the "stop" happens because the arm changes direction.

you want to pull and accelerate THROUGH the rip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rehder » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:34 am

Yea Baby....I found some SNAP today.

I went ount and practiced today with the intent of bringing my arm/hand closer to my chest when I throw. Specifically shortly before the rip. At the same time I tried to slow my X-step up to be able to concentrate on bringing the disc in closer to myself. And to not pull early.

The problem with not being able to throw my rocs straight disappeared. http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=317&start=15 They would fly very nicely on laser line drives . Avengers would track a little bit to the right, but otherwise totally straight.

I got a slight soreness in my rip-fingerpad, which indicated that I must be somewhat on the right track as well

My drives where much more consistant, where my Avenger would go 310-320 and my Inferno's would go 330-340. These throw wherent all out throws. The lack of increase in distance is most definitly still related to problems with getting weight forward. As soon as I try to put a little mustard on my throw I end up taking too big a last step. This was very evident, because my champ leopard would fly as far as my Avengers and my rocs wherent very far behind.
Follow through is also another are that I need to work on. And my grip likely has to be improved somehow as well, though Im not sure how.

But Im still very happy with todays outcome
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Technique