Thumbers, Hook Thumbers, Grenades, Pancakes, tomahawks, etc.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Thumbers, Hook Thumbers, Grenades, Pancakes, tomahawks, etc.

Postby Craig » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 pm

I've seen people talk about lots of overhand shots, and I guess I'm still having trouble figuring out what they all are:
Thumbers, Hook Thumbers, Grenades, Pancakes, skamahawks

I understand that a tomahawk has is like a sidearm grip, but overhand (tilted to 10:00 or 11:00 for a righty). A thumber is with the thumb inside the disc (not sure what angle but I assume tilted to 1:00 or 2:00).

Is a hook thumber different than a thumber? and what do all the others do, and how do you throw them?

And how come my parents don't like me?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:52 pm

hook thumbers are a slightly different grip. I am not sure how it effects flight ,but your thumb is more parallel with the rim, really most "thumbers" are hook thumbers.

Grenades are not really an overhand shot, the best way I could describe throwing one is an upside down knife hyzer.

here, four pages of videos, these four are all putts and trick shots.

http://stickitdg.com/gallery/album03

Schweberger is great for watching thumber form/grips

also cool shots

http://stickitdg.com/gallery/album04?page=4
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Craig » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
Grenades are not really an overhand shot, the best way I could describe throwing one is an upside down knife hyzer.

So, for a grenade I hold the disc upside down (thumb inside the the rim) and just throw it like a knife hyzer (about a 70 degree angle)? What would I use this shot for?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:47 am

Craig wrote:So, for a grenade I hold the disc upside down (thumb inside the the rim) and just throw it like a knife hyzer (about a 70 degree angle)? What would I use this shot for?

If there's an object directly in front of you that you want the disc to go over, flip once, and then fall straight down. It may take some practice, and they don't travel very far. They usually sit right where they land, but since the disc is spinning back towards you, I've seen them hit the ground and roll almost 60' or so back towards the teepad!

sleepy
Last edited by sleepy on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:13 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:hook thumbers are a slightly different grip. I am not sure how it effects flight ,but your thumb is more parallel with the rim, really most "thumbers" are hook thumbers.

Yeah, from my understanding, a hook thumber is basically where your thumb is hooked on to the rim (go figure). That's the way I first threw all my thumbers, seemed the most logical way to hold the disc. It works great for getting the disc to flip over quickly, but not so much for distance. Some of the better players at what was my home course consistently were able to bomb thumbers around 300'. One of the guys showed me how he gripped the disc for those, and basically, you hold it so that your index finger's first knuckle is pointing towards the middle of the disc, and you pinch it from the other side with your thumb so your grip point is about an inch inwards from the rim. Since I've learned that, that's about the only grip I use for thumbers, and though I'm nowhere close to getting them out to 300', I do get a hell of a lot more distance (and consistency) than I did with the hook thumber.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 am

I cant throw anything but backhand. I really need to work on that. What exactly is the pancake throw?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:42 pm

grenades generally dont flip, they are straight up and straight down, if you thorw them as you would a sky roller then they flip. If you throw a regular grenade w/ an understable disc they will go from your hyzer / to this angle \ and come down to the right alittle.

Pancakes are just tommys (or thumbers) that you dont let flip so they float down and land flat upside down, and often slide alittle ways before stopping.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Yeah, I find pancakes to be really useful for approaches on high risk holes. I end up using it quite a bit on this hole Image

This picture is taken behind the basket, facing back towards the tee. If you're anywhere behind that dead tree, and are putting/approaching, it's really easy to miss the basket (it doesn't help that its a really ghetto homemade basket) and sail on past a good 30+ feet down the hill there . Or worse, it's REALLY easy to throw an easy approach shot, land close to the basket, have the disc catch an edge and roll down 60+ feet (i'd say it's about 35 feet in elevation to the bottom of the hill. If I don't have a good look for a putt, I'll do the pancake and just try to slide the putter underneath the bucket, as it's really rare for a pancake to pop up and get wheels, and they generally go right where you aim them. Just gotta be careful on how much you allow them to slide.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:04 pm

there's two different types of grenade grips. one causes a flip, the other does not.

the flip version dives harder and looks much cooler :P

as for thumber vs. hook thumber...

to most disc golfers, they are the same. if you go old school frisbee or ultimate, there is a sidearm thumber which is usually referred to as a thumber. there are also thumb rollers which use a grip similar to one of the grenade grips. *note* a sidearm thumber is EXTREMELY dangerous with a golf disc if you wish to keep your upper arm in 1 piece.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 pm

Blake_T wrote:there's two different types of grenade grips. one causes a flip, the other does not.

So whats the difference, and how does it flip?

I grip my grenade like this Image

I really want a digital video camera :-\, my digi camera dosnt take good videos (does take crappy ones :roll: )
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:07 pm

that picture = the non-flip version of the grenade.

the flip grip grenade = with the thumb pad pressed inside the rim.

i've lost a few layers of skin before throwing that type... but it does yield a different flight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Ill have to try it, I am interested in how it flips. Like direction and such. I dont see it flying much different with that variation in grip
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:40 pm

I saw Brinster throw a grenade yesterday. Damn thats a cool looking shot.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 pm

I am not really getting a flip on my grenade after changing grips. The disc is getting more left to right the disc goes up at a / angle and comes down like \ which I think will be a useful shot where I want something similar to a lefty knife hyzer, while the grenade I was throwing was more straight up and straight down is good for other situations. Nice to have another shot in hte bag.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:46 pm

when you guys say a grenade "flips", do you mean that it corkscrews and flies right side up?

when i've been playing catch lately i've been throwing grenades with a wizard... released anhyzer they perform a cool flex shot. they are pretty consistent actually, too. i figure if i threw a spike hyzer angle with a very understable disc i could get it to flip right side up... but i've yet to try.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Technique