Thumbers, Hook Thumbers, Grenades, Pancakes, tomahawks, etc.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 am

I like throwing them w/ anny too, this is what I was have refered to in other forums as an "inverted grenade" or a "skamahawk"

If you use the flip grip and an understable disc I have gotten them to flip and come down to the right, but I am not sure if thats the flip blake and others have talked about. The grip even made my preds come down to the right some.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:15 am

I am not really getting a flip on my grenade after changing grips. The disc is getting more left to right the disc goes up at a / angle and comes down like \

yah, it flipped :P

if it didn't flip it would go up like / and land like /.

you can manipulate the flight with release angle and wrist roll.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm

alright, I was imagining more of a 180 degree rotation of some kind, I suppose we use the term flip when we filp a disc from hyzer and thats only a slight change.
Having both in the bag will definately be nice, and I think the flip grenade may even be more useful in how it kinda takes a lefty hyzer flight.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby ambiguous » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:39 pm

How much distance do some of the pros get on their thumbers? I just realized recently that my Firebird will get up and go on that throw, and I was curious was a good distance was.
ambiguous
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:06 pm

top i have witnessed was ~480' but that was with an epic.

the longest non-epic thumbers i have seen were in the realm of ~400' and they were by schweb, curt gatlin (can see him throw thumbers on the 2000 worlds video) and tony mcgibbon.
Blake_T

Postby -Frank- » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm

The Epic is an amazing disc. Whenever I pull it out, it usually leads to a Birdie. I can make it crash left or right, depending on situation. Mine is not tuned for distance, but I can see how I could easily get 400'+ if I bothered to tune it perfectly for a glide, instead of the way it is now. I can still get close to 350' on a huge throw, but I use it more for holes that are 250-300' to go over and around trees. And don't believe the hype, it has sustained direct tree/ concrete hits and still is in great shape. I think I should get another one...

When I need less distance, I pull out my Champ Orc. Perfect for sweet Pancakes with a huge skip at the end. I've had all of the three "Best of" thumber discs besides the Epic (Champ Orc, Z XS, X Wildcat), and the Orc is the best of them all.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Here's a question about thumbers and tomahawks: I'm relatively good at throwing them, meaning I can get pretty good distance and accuracy with them most of the time. It seems recently though, I've had a lot more problems with rolling. One of my friends who throw thrumbers fairly often, his usually plop down, spin backwards a little bit, and will usually roll 10' at the most. For me, it seems like I can almost expect a 20' roll every time now, and this seems to be a more recent problem. Not too long ago, I threw a thumber approach shot, probably about 200' or so, figuring it would settle down and stay like how I mentioned with my friend's shot. I threw it, it landed about 15' from the pin, I turned around picked up my bag and went looking for another disc I threw. I totally would have lost my thumber disc if it weren't for the fact that I saw a Suburban slow down in the street running parallel to the park. Somehow, my disc had stayed on edge and rolled out away from the park, across a sidewalk, into the street, across the street, up over the curb of the sidewalk on the other side, across that sidewalk, and about 5' into deep grass on the other side...all in all about 60' of rolling, with no hill or anything to help it out. I know that particular case is one of those "defying the laws of physics" kind of rolls, but still, my thumbers seem to roll way more than they should. As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything to change my technique, but I just can't trust them like I used to. Anyone have any ideas?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:56 am

ive found some molds can roll more than others, while others bounce. When I used Z flicks i found when they break in and the plastic gets springy it would bounce 30-50' to the right 50% of the time.

a important thing that will help keep a disc from rolling on an overhand shot is height, if you throw t higher and the disc has more downward momentum when it hits than lateral momentum it shouldnt roll much.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:00 pm

discs that are more low speed overstable are less prone to rolling since they flex back at more of an angle during the corkscrew.
Blake_T

Previous

Return to Technique