OH NO! Not another grip question.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

OH NO! Not another grip question.

Postby OldTyme » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:04 am

I've been playing for a couple years now so it's not a 'new player' question.

But. I noticed I have a problem gripping the disc. I've tried the 4 finger, 3 finger, fan, birdie, bonapane, everything.

I don't feel I'm getting a proper grip because of my short fat fingers ( :lol: )

The only grip that feels comfortable is a fan grip. Index finger & pinky on the rim.

BUT, I've heard the fan doesn't produce the spin as much as say a 4 finger power grip.

So are there any other options? Suggestions?

(side note: I only need help w/ my driving grip............for 2nd shots, putting, everything else I stick w/ the fan)
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:08 am

a local guy has the same problem. His disc selection is his key. I uses discs with short bead walls....and little lips. His go to discs are QJLS and Pro Orcs. He also throws some stingrays.

With those discs...he uses he standard 4 finger power grip....
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:53 am

The fork grip is worth looking at. Some guy who's got 12 world titles throws with it and nothing else.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Amateur » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:08 am

I have short fat fingers too. I lock the disc in with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I curl the index around the rim with the bottom lip of the disc in the first knuckle skin crease and I pinch just past my index with my thumb. It's like a control/fork grip that I've had success with. I used to have trouble throwing the newer faster drivers with 2+cm thick rim.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 am

I've just got short fingers, but I've also got a problem gripping big drivers. I can get my fingurs around an orc, but anything bigger just feels uncomfortable.
Timko

Postby OldTyme » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks.
I looked at the grip article here & the fork grip does feel pretty good.
I can get my index finger all the way around & planted on the rim.
It's not far off from my fan grip but with the two middle fingers pressing against the pinky instead of the flight plate the grip does feel tighter.

Now I just need some playing weather. 38 feels a bit nippy right now.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm

I have short, thin fingers.

anything wider than a valkyrie is tough (1.9cm) and requires a grip adjustment. i start losing strength wider than 1.6cm (old mold eagle).

the fork, birdie, and fan grips are the easiest mods if you have a short index finger.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby didihitatree » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:52 pm

I have short fingers and I also have difficulty with the wider rims.

I can't really throw a fork grip because my fingers don't bend backwards at the joint (which sucks if you play guitar; I can't play a proper power chord). I basically can't use the pads of my fingers at all unless they're pretty well extended.

I find it helps on certain discs to throw with a three finger grip. It feels pretty much exactly the same in my hand as the fourth finger grip, but I get to drop the weakest and shortest digit.
didihitatree
Noob

grip

Postby twmccoy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:44 pm

Blake_T wrote:I have short, thin fingers.

anything wider than a valkyrie is tough (1.9cm) and requires a grip adjustment. i start losing strength wider than 1.6cm (old mold eagle).

the fork, birdie, and fan grips are the easiest mods if you have a short index finger.

Interesting. My fingers must be long because I can use a 3 or 4 finger power grip on a wraith comfortably. Orcs, beasts and surges feel a little better, but I like the wide wraith rim. I've been having trouble lately using the power grip on leopards, eagles or teebirds. That narrow rim is hard to work with.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:14 pm

Narrow rims are where I make my living. The things I can do with an element, elementX (or a wizard for that matter) are much more impressive than what I can do with any wide rimmed driver. I normally use the birdie grip or some version of it (I only stack my ring finger) when I throw a putter, or when I want to finesse a midrange.
Timko

Re: grip

Postby -Frank- » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:38 pm

twmccoy wrote:Interesting. My fingers must be long because I can use a 3 or 4 finger power grip on a wraith comfortably. Orcs, beasts and surges feel a little better, but I like the wide wraith rim. I've been having trouble lately using the power grip on leopards, eagles or teebirds. That narrow rim is hard to work with.

Yeah, for me a Wraith is very comfortable to grip with 4 fingers. I can even grip the thick part of the Epic tightly in a 4 finger grip (it would hurt my palm to throw it like that , though). Having a mix of wide-rim (Wraith, Flash) and small rim (Z XS, Sidewinder, Star TL) drivers has helped me to become comfortable with both.

You know what they say about guys with long fingers... :wink:

... those little stretchy one-size-fits-all winter gloves don't cover our wrists very well. :D
-Frank-
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:58 pm

the real key to gripping wider rims = that the middle segment of your index finger is slightly longer than the rim width. my segment measures 1.95cm. a wraith is 2.3cm, and thus requires a grip mod to add rip strength.

while it is generally "more comfortable" for many players to grip a wide rim, the narrower rims provide greater potential grip strength since you have better leverage/angles.

while it may also seem easier for a person with small hands to 3-finger grip a wide rim, it also reduces a lot of the strength since it shifts the orientation/tension in the hand.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby OldTyme » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:49 pm

I went out today & was throwing w/ the fork grip. Not bad. Control seemed to be better.

Question #2 Part 3. Section B. Article 4

I still say the fan grip is the most comfortable........

Am I losing much by using it 100% of the time?
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:19 pm

yes, you will lose a bit of power. I would geuss at least 30% (thats really a geuss, but I cant see myself throwing more than 300' w/ a fan grip, and can throw over 400 w/ a power grip)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Technique