Field Revelations

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Field Revelations

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

Realizations:

1. If I stand more upright, it is much easier to throw nose down. Maybe its not "easier" to throw, but it is easier to judge nose alignment....therefore easier to achieve the desired flight.

2. The biggest factor in throwing far for me is hand fatigue. After an hour or so (with some 60+ drives) i noticed a marked decrease in distance due to grip strength.

3. My rip finger is my middle finger....could I be harnessing more power / better grip strength if I tried to make it my index finger?

All in all, I had a great field session with some pretty monster throws. I broke 400' today and it was truly a thrill. I thought I knew what glide was, but I didnt. I have always been a somewhat "strong" thrower. I could always throw farther than my friends of similar skill / strength, but I realized that my strength was in my arm speed and not my grip / hit. Once I focused on the hit and follow through I could achieve a much more controlled, consistant throw that was as far as my previous throws with little runup. This combined with my nose angle realization landed me my 1st 400+ footer! (I can only guestimate as I threw the disc over the fence behind the endzone onto the next field to about the 10 yard line!!! Basically, what I want to say is: If you are a strapping lad struggling to break 350' check your nose angles!!!

Also, my question about my rip finger?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby adidadg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:50 am

Its always a great feeling to have a break through in technique like youre describing, i love it when things just start to click.

I wouldnt worry about the Fatigue, 60 drives is a lot! I am always way more sore from a field practice session than after playing an actual round (or two). For a typical 18 hole round I'm probably only throwing about 9 throws that I would consider drives.

As for the grip, are you using the control grip? that is 3 fingers against the rim and the index finger pointed out on the outside of the rim, it is a middle finger rip point grip. Dave Dunipace has some good grip descriptions and pictures on the Innova website, check it out. I used to use the control grip as well but switched to what dave calls the split power/fork grip (although i think it resembles more of a control grip than fork grip). Its basically the same as the control grip but the index finger is curled and the bottom edge of the rim is "nestled" in the outermost knuckle of your index finger (which becomes your rip point). Works good for me as I never found the traditional 4-finger power grip comfortable...might be worth a try.
adidadg

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:56 am

I use the 4 finger power grip and feel pretty solid with it.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Terrence » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:13 am

~400', wow congrats! I've only hit 400 on big downhill tees :oops:

I too took my drive to the next level through practice in the fields this season. I went from throwing 200-225ft with using MAX power to consistantly throwing 280-300' with much less effort. Soccer fields and DGR.com helped my game immensely!
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

practice

Postby twmccoy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:43 am

What discs were you throwing? Just curious. I also find that throwing upright helps keep the nose down, but it costs me distance. I use a 3 or 4 finger power grip and the rip point is the index finger.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:21 am

I threw all of my discs. The 400 footer and subsequent 380 footers were thrown with a mix of teebirds valks and old mold beasts (all dx) in the 165-175 g region. Most were fairly well seasoned. Valks and Teebirds are consistently my longest discs with the beasts being very close. (however, I dont really like the extremely thick rim)
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:30 pm

Aaron,

if you aren't able to get an index rip on a disc with a fairly narrowish rim like a teebird, then you aren't quite having enough grip focus. i know many players that get more nose down throwing with a middle finger rip, but it is usually stronger and easier to control with a fan grip coming off the knuckle on the middle finger.

a fan grip also doesn't change the orientation of the disc at the rip as much... it's hard to explain, but basically with an index rip you are coming off the left edge of your hand at the rip... with a power grip but middle rip finger, the disc comes out of the center of the hand...

as for nose down when standing upright, that is false...

if you hold the disc at the position it is supposed to rip out, see how much nose down you can get. generally it's tough to get more than ~10 degrees. then hold it at the same spot but then lean forward ~45 degrees. you will see that this will increase the nose down potential by a substantial margin.

i will say it is easier to manipulate hyzer/anhyzer angles when upright, but as for nose down, there is tons more potential nose down with weight forward.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:29 am

any tips on getting an index rip?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 am

grip tighter with the index finger.
Blake_T

Postby akfrolfer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Blake_T wrote:if you hold the disc at the position it is supposed to rip out, see how much nose down you can get. generally it's tough to get more than ~10 degrees. then hold it at the same spot but then lean forward ~45 degrees. you will see that this will increase the nose down potential by a substantial margin.

i will say it is easier to manipulate hyzer/anhyzer angles when upright, but as for nose down, there is tons more potential nose down with weight forward.

When you say lean forward do you mean forward towards the front of the pad or forward as in bending down perpendicular to the front of the pad?
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby Eric O » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:05 pm

I assume he is referring to continuing your forward momentum through the follow-through. Not so much bending down as it is continuing the forward weight transfer.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frontman311 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Wait, so is ripping off the index finger better than off the middle finger?
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:14 am

I assume he is referring to continuing your forward momentum through the follow-through. Not so much bending down as it is continuing the forward weight transfer.

actually, i am kind of referring to leaning forward during the throw, however, it should only happen as your body starts to square up to the target (chest facing target):

potentially better, yes. actually better for a given player, maybe. potentially stronger, yes. actually stronger for a given player, maybe.
Blake_T

Postby Frontman311 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Blake_T wrote:

potentially better, yes. actually better for a given player, maybe. potentially stronger, yes. actually stronger for a given player, maybe.

Yeah thanks, I got the index finger thing figured out today. I switched my grip and learned a lot about nose down and then today I was able to switch back.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique