Putter Flutter

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Flutter

Postby S Brown » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:38 am

I was told that learning to throw putters for distance is a great way to improve technique.

I have been working on it at my practice field and have discoverd that the putters when thorwn for d (not max), it comes out w/ a flutter. Sometimes it even happens w/ my mids. After it quits fluttering, it flatten out and generally flies on its intended lines

Putters-New Star Aviar 175 Challenger 171 DX Aviar 175
Mids- KC Roc 175 Elite Z Buzz (Beat) Spider 170

I have been playing for one year, and my golf d is about 260'.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby superq » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 am

try to get everything moving on the same line. I have the oppisite issue, my putters and mids come out clean but the drivers are off axis, for me it is an issue of starting to high and finishing low...

keep it flat and smooth and then add the power...

FORM FIRST
my.02
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:26 am

i have been working on putter driving also. I played 9 holes yesterday throwing 6 wizards on each one, thats about 3 rounds worth of shooting, and made some real progress. I find that you just need to keep it smooth and steady to get rid of flutter. If I try to throw it as hard as I would throw a driver it flutters at first then levels out for medium distance, but if I throw lightly and really focus on keeping a smooth fluid motion I get twice the distance out of it with little to no flutter. Its hard to get comfortable with relying on technique to get it out there rather than power but it really works. the flutter is also often cause by grip error so you may want to reread the grip article a few times. If I were you I would pick one putter mold and stick with it, get a few of them to make practice more effective. I know there are plenty of guys around here that can putter drive further than I can but Im at the point where I can almost stack all 6 wizards at about 170 feet and keep them in a fairly tight group at 200 feet. Not only is it a usefull shot to have, the benifits to your form will really improve your game all around.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:24 pm

putter flutter = off axis torque.

method for correcting it = practice throwing pure hyzers (hold the same angle the entire flight) in a field. follow through on the same angle you want the disc to fly on.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby S Brown » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Gents-

Thanks for the feedback!! Blake please explain.

Follow through on the same line I want to finish. Please elaborate. (Or is it really that simple :wink: )

What is the function of practicing pure hyzers. Are these gentle hyzers or knife hyzers? Is this something I should work on with putters & mids?

Why do you think this happens w/ only putters and mids?

I cannot thank all of you on this website for fueling my addiction to disc golf.

Special thanks to Blake T!
S Brown
Noob

Postby rehder » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 pm

Ive been doing the exact same thing. Lots of flutter on the putters. Just do a straight forward hyzer, they will be easier to throw flutter free, at least it did for me. Another thing to focus on is to not try too hard. Focus on making a smooth throw. Afaik putters can take al ot of snap but not a lot of arm. So focus on slow and smooth to start of with and then try to get more power on it
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:07 pm

In a different thread, Bradley Walker said soemthing that really rang a bell for me. The snap is different for a putter than a driver. His analogy is snapping a towel for a driver, but snapping a bedspread (or quilt or something) for a putter. It's a slower, more deliberate motion that eliminates flutter. If I am able to keep that in mind when throwing my putters, I've noticed way more distance and control.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby S Brown » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:18 pm

THANKS!

Is the purpose of throwing the hyzer to get a "feel" for something that may be causing the flutter? I am practcing to throw the putters and mids laser straight.

I love the imagery of the towel vs the quilt. Can't wait to get to the field tommorow morning.

Steve
S Brown
Noob

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:55 pm

The snap is different for a putter than a driver.

I had a guy out on the course trying to tell me to wrist roll when driving a putter. I had trouble taking him serious though since I was driving my putters twice as far and more accurately then he was....
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:46 pm

throwing a "pure" shot is very much based upon the throwing plane.

if you want a 30 degree hyzer that will hold a 30 degree hyzer the entire flight you will want to reach back w/ your shoulders at a 30 degree tilt and follow through with the arm/shoulders on a 30 degree plane upwards.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique