power grip on mids

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

power grip on mids

Postby twmccoy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:42 pm

Anyone use a 4 finger power grip on their mids? I just switched to it (from the fork grip) and am getting way more distance and no loss of accuracy. It feels sort of strange on such small rimmed discs, but the results speak for themselves. My buzz and panther are going as far as many peoples orcs and other drivers.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:15 pm

I use both. I switch to fan grip to take some distance off or to cause it to flip a bit more. 75% of the time I use power grip for midrange throws.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:01 pm

I use the same grip for everything. Its the power grip but I tuck my pinky finger under as it doesnt seem to add any support, just more drag on the rim. I was "fanning" out my support fingers for putter driving but as per the advice around here I went back to the norm grip and it seems to be paying off. on deeper rimmed discs I will also try to place my support fingers closer to the edge to reduce some friction.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Rooster » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:06 pm

i use the 4 finger power grip on my mids. the only time i don't use a power grip is when im putting or for 100' or less approaches(with a putter obviously).
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:41 pm

i power grip mids/putters when i want to push them out within about 10% of my max controlled range.

on shorter shots i will go with a fork or fan.

overall, i've just found i get more consistent power on mids with a power grip, but haven't gotten more than ~5% increase in my max range witht hem.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby -Frank- » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Blake (or anyone else)-

For my midrange/control drive grip I usually will use a control grip, with my index finger on the rim (running along the edge), while my back 3 fingers grip the rim. Looking at this thread made me curious, so I checked your list of grips. I didn't see one like the control grip I use. Is this a good grip, or am I creating problems by the disc spinning off of my index finger?
-Frank-
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:12 am

i have a control grip pic on the middle finger rip pictures.

there's variants of what people do with their fingers under the disc.

taking off the index finger will reduce power potential, and for players like myself, it will be less accurate since i'm finishing/snapping throws on just about everything outside 100'. a control grip is more slide oriented.

there's nothing really bad about doing it that way, but basically, i will give the same advice i give about a lot of things:
if you HAVE to do it that way, it is bad. if you CHOOSE to do it that way, it is fine.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby ambiguous » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:35 am

If I'm using a fan grip without the index finger for all my drives, am I losing a lot of potential power?
ambiguous
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:06 am

the invisible tree wrote:I use both. I switch to fan grip to take some distance off or to cause it to flip a bit more. 75% of the time I use power grip for midrange throws.

me too.
the only reason that it would be about 75% of the throws w/ my mids would be because the wizard is $$$ up to 270ish, while the mids are good up too 325ish, and thats with a power grip over about 270ish ;-). So i really only use more of a fan grip when throwing hyzers or tunnels in the 200-270 range that a wiz cant do.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:35 am

I pretty much exclusively use a 4 finger power grip on my mids unless I'm trying some weird, really short, sharp hyzer approach shot into the wind. I'll just change the line if I really want to shorten up my throw by either throwing a bigger hyzer or throwing lower.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:33 am

Id powergrip my mids, like my Rocs and Wizards, but I know that I'd just end up twisting my wrist at the last second of the release, and turn them over as I try to put as much power to em as possible.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby sleepy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:15 am

Rooster wrote:i use the 4 finger power grip on my mids. the only time i don't use a power grip is when im putting or for 100' or less approaches(with a putter obviously).

Ditto. I only use a fan grip for finesse shots.

AciDBatH666 wrote:Id powergrip my mids, like my Rocs and Wizards, but I know that I'd just end up twisting my wrist at the last second of the release, and turn them over as I try to put as much power to em as possible.

I think I've read on here that if you can't throw a mid/putter for max distance with a power grip, it's indicative of problems in your form. I'm not saying that I too don't sometimes accidentally turn my mids/putters over when throwing them w/ the power-grip, but it is something you should work on being able to do well.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:13 pm

If i throw them high then its no problem, cuz it has room to flex and come back somewhat. More of a big big gliding S flight path. I do really well with my Drivers tho.
I can crush orcs 400 feet with a sidearm drive, and 370 backhand. Turning them, and my valks over too much isnt a problem. But most of my Rocs I never plan on going more than 300 ft or so. So I never really whip one out trying to crush it. Its one of the discs that i really work on form with more so that they'll come out straighter.

But yeah, it is something Id love to work on. Cuz if I could learn to really crush my Rocs and let their release come out clean from a powergrip, they'll push straighter longer and further. I'll start messin with em on the course when i get time
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby roadkill » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 pm

I fork grip my putter anything outside a putt (>65'), all mids and most fairway drivers. I powergrip longer driver shots and rollers.

I have the most control and the most consistent releases with the fork grip. The powergrip gains me a little bit of power and sacrifices some control.

I'd rather not sacrifice significant control of a mid to gain power. If I need more distance than a mid I bump up to a fairway driver like a leopard or teebird.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

grip

Postby twmccoy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 pm

The fork grip does have a bit more control with mids, but lately with this power grip I've been getting way more distance. Accuracy is coming around. I don't play courses with trees all over the place so it isn't a factor so much.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Technique