run up on forehand shots?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

run up on forehand shots?

Postby adidadg » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

a question for Blake or you forehand players out there...

When doing a forehand drive, is it necessary to do a run up? If so what is the proper technique? Given that the mechanics are different for a forehand is there any benefit of getting power from your hips as you do in the backhand x-step? I know that one benefit of doing at least some form of run-up is a weight shift, and im wondering if this is all that I need to get out of it.

I am currently doing an x-step only reversed from the backhand x-step, so my right foot crosses behind my left. I checked out Timmy Gill's throw analysis, i know that he has a good forehand, and he does pretty much the opposite, his right foot is more in front of his left. His hips are never pointed more than 90 deg away from the target so it looks like he gets all his power from a weight shift and the actual Flick. Im curious to know if this is the accepted method.

I have a decent forehand but it could definitley be better. I am kinda taking Stokely's advice that for a right-curving shot a FH is almost always better than throwing an anhyzer since a hyzer is the preferred flight path of a disc. Any input would be appreciated...
adidadg

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm mostly a sidearmer...lately I've been slowing my drives down, both backhand and sidearm, so it's more of a walk-and-throw. I definitely have done something of a runup for my forehand shots though. it's not a full on run-up like you see some people do for their backhands, more of a hop and pop. Basically what I'll do, I'll line up my shot on the tee, my hips more or less perpindicular to the target, but my upper body turned so that my chest is pointed towards the target. Then from that stance, I'll go into my version of the x-step, basically a little hop so my right foot comes in front of my left, plants, powers my body forward, left foot comes from behind, plants, becomes my pivot foot, and I push my shot through. Pretty much the same thing as the backhand x-step, but reversed, and less upper body movement. Oh yeah, you do want to rotate your upper body too--pretty much when doing the x-step, you're pointing your left shoulder towards the basket. I just tried doing the x-step like you said you were trying, and that felt really awkward. I think if you try the other way, it'll work a lot better for you. I pointed this link to someone else in another thread, but I'll post it for you too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:21 am

You're right, this feels a lot better. I was throwing some pretty decent forehands on the weekend and they felt a lot more comfortable and natural this way. Before I was trying to get more power from my hips but it just ended up feeling awkward like you said. thanks for the advice!
adidadg

Postby Blake_T » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:35 pm

I am kinda taking Stokely's advice that for a right-curving shot a FH is almost always better than throwing an anhyzer since a hyzer is the preferred flight path of a disc.

this is true only to the extent that it suits the shot. there are some holes better suited for a turnover/roller than a sidearm hyzer and vice versa.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby superq » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:46 pm

we have a hole here that has a mando left on a light pole the pin is about ...

http://www.playdg.com/crestview/?h=2 anyway this hole the route I take to the deep pin (further back If you zoom to the furthest target in the pic it is now behind the tree to the left and deep of the last light pole ) is a huge turnover thrown high and left of the tree in front of the tee. Sidearm angle would be hard to hit this shot since its thrown high with a stable disc to cut sharp and then plane out and finish towards the hole.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:53 pm

I dont forehand for distance, but I think I have the mechanics pretty well. I have a Stokleyesque form now which I take about 3 steps straight at my target line. I used to use a full x step style runup, but it was inconsistant (althoug D was better) I like having alittle runup just to sync my body up in the proper direction. Me and a couple buddies had a mini ace race this week (all holes 100-150') out of abrout 36 holes I had 3 aces and 7 metal hits. Whenever there was a straight line I took my straightest D wasp out, liiked right at thte chastity belt, walked straight at it and threw a nice little forehand. Makes me wish I didnt have to use the ace race discs at the ace race :roll: Personally I have trouble aiming w/ out a step or two. W/ out the steps my right left accuracy is off, forehand or backhand.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby deaddisc » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:57 pm

I find that I short-arm a lot of rhbh throws if i do not get any runup. Also on the forehand topic; I use the Stokely run/walkup and it works very well for me, helps me keep the accuracy while giving me extra d when it is needed. However, if I know that I do not need the extra d then I will throw a forehand from a standstill
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby superq » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:56 pm

and maybe it is a weakness in MY forehand game but I am 99% more acurate with a RHBH than a RHFH and I think I am about 50/50 RHFH v/s LHBH.

If you are still following along I commend you and tell you to get out there and play.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby -Frank- » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 pm

For accuracy (300'-325'), I will stand facing the target, take a step forward with my left foot, and release the disc very low (about a foot off of the ground). With my Flashes, I can get a dead straight shot that rises about 4-6 feet over the 300'-325'. I was throwing at a snow fence at my church from about 300' away, and I picked a 6' long section to throw at, and all of my throws rose just enough to skim right over the section I was aiming at. This is most relative to a submarine pitch in baseball.

When I'm going for full power, I'll face the target with right foot forward, take a step with my right and then launch into a modified X-step, releasing the disc more sidearm. I am definately getting more power with the step, as the Flashes that go straight for the first shot turn way over when I x-step. It takes a TeeRex to go straight with the step.

I would advise anyone wanting to get better at the forehand to do the obvious... practice. Even though I have played baseball my whole life, the forehand was a mystery to me until I buckled down and threw lots of forehands. I still have a long way to go in terms of consistency, but my forehand is really good. It is definately one of the most important shots to have in your bag, along with a good thumber/ tomahawk.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 pm

superq wrote:I am 99% more acurate with a RHBH than a RHFH and I think I am about 50/50 RHFH v/s LHBH.

though I'm improving (or was when I could still play regularly--damn you rainy weather and early darkness!!! :evil:), i'm pretty much in the opposite situation. my BH accuracy is nothing compared to my FH accuracy. i think for me, the big difference is being able to keep your eyes locked on the target the whole time. for a good drive where i need some well aimed distance, i can just visualize a laser beam going straight towards my target and assuming my body is cooperative that day, the disc will go right where i want it. for the longest time my BH throws on the other hand, had like 10-15 degree margin of error on either side of where i was "aiming". i AM getting better though, i swear. :oops: and my left handed game? lets not even go there.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:10 am

for accuracy i find a Forehand is more accurate in terms of direction (its less likely to shoot off left or right), but I can control my distance much better with a backhand than a forehand.
adidadg

Postby -Frank- » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 pm

adidadg wrote:for accuracy i find a Forehand is more accurate in terms of direction (its less likely to shoot off left or right), but I can control my distance much better with a backhand than a forehand.

Very true.
-Frank-
Noob

Return to Technique