sidearm grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

sidearm grip

Postby swel304 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:38 pm

so I spent about two hours in a baseball field today trying to learn the sidearm throw. Cant say I had much luck but I was kind of getting it near the end. I read the sidearm article last night and though that I had a pretty good idea of it but apprently not. One thing that I did find is that the grip explained in the article dose not seem to work for me. with first and middle finger inside the rim I just can not get a good throw. If I use just my first finger inside the rim and my middle finger on the wing, with the edge of the disc resting on the inside of my third finger, my thumb directly oposite my rip finger, I can get a decent throw. when I say decent Im talking relative to the nowhere that the other grip goes, its still only about 120 feet with quite a bit of wobble, but alot closer to a proper throw. any suggestions on how to learn/practice this shot?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 pm

Well, I can tell you what works for me. I'm a pretty good sidearmer--it's been my main shot since I started, though I'm trying to wean myself of it. The grip I use, I basically make a peace sign with my fingers, the middle finger goes inside the rim of the disc, and the index finger more or less points towards the middle. My thumb pretty much rests between my fingers on top of the disc (if the disc weren't there, it'd be in perfect postion to pull off the good ol' "stole your nose trick"). I've seen some people squeeze the disc with their thumb, but I pretty much just have it there to keep the disc from flipping out of my hand.

I think with my grip, I'm not getting as much potential power out of my drives as I could, but it's what I'm used to, and found it to be by far the most accurate of the grips I've experimented with.

This is a pretty good little video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:29 pm

the key to a torque free sidearm is to throw it with your palm perpendicular to the ground to allow the wrist to hinge naturally through the flick and into the follow through.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby swel304 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:17 pm

so I tried one sidearm today stuck in some thick cover. It more or less went where I intended and got me out of trouble but boy did it look silly... if its not super cold tommorrow I gonna spend some more time working on it.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:13 pm

ouch! I did about 3 hours of sidearming today, and my rip finger is so sore it hurts to clik the mouse. I wish I could say I was kickin ass but it still seems to be coming very slow. Does throwing short side arms (like 110') do anything to improve the throw? Most of my trouble seems to come in when I go for distance. I started really small throws just to get the hang of the grip and movement. After three hours I was still only confident at about 120' out as far as straight shots go. move out to about 150 or more and 2 out of 3 shots either turn over or wobble and go no where. And real disaster begins when I try to add any kind of runup, even the one step. Anyway, even at 100 feet I bet I will still be using it from time to time to get out of trouble. I was throwing 23 discs back and forth across a base ball field and tried a two times through throwing some thumber, which I have never been good at. after 3-5 goofy throws I started throwing them pretty well. again not much range, about 175' but still usefull.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique