What Kornheiser taught me about line shaping

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What Kornheiser taught me about line shaping

Postby trogdor » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:25 pm

So, I was watching Monday Night Football (Seahawks vs. Raiders...yawn) and they put up a graphic of one of Seneca Wallace's throws where they put a circle around the ball at various stages of the flight resulting in a "tunnel representation" of the throw.

That was the spark of an expirement I've been trying. For drives and approaches, I've been visualizing 3 rings (close, mid, far) that I want the disc to fly through. The immediate results really helped. One thing I noticed is that by doing this, I started to get a more realistic view of where the disc was going to end up.

One modification that I've done is flattening the circles into ovals so there is a disc orientation goal. Also, I've learned that if I set up the mental tagets from the furthest to the closest, I've had a lot more success. I plan on adding more target points on to the throw as I progress.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:32 pm

killer trogdor! i feel like a lot of my best tunnel throws are when i picture the first window i have to hit and then visualize the space i need to hit, and how my disc should be flying through there (angle, flippiness etc...). i think visualizing 3 rings would be a good way of reminding myself to do this every shot. i like mental tips... since i feel my game can get extremely mental (i play great when i smart, and horrible when i'm dumb).
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique