nose down on putts?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

nose down on putts?

Postby Discoman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:30 pm

Does anyone do this? I just started experimenting the last time I practiced and had good luck with a solid short arm nose down putt. Seemed very straight, and minimal flyby on misses. Just wondering, I will try it again tomorrow.
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Amateur » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm

If you putt too nose down you may have some funky misses. I putted that way for fun one day and I had 2 good putts hit the bottom chain ring in the basket and bounce out. I also hit the top link and bounced straight back. It is a lot of fun to do though. If it works for you who am I to judge
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:35 am

I do sometimes. I find the disc lands flatter with an arcing, nose down putt. You might have trouble with hyzer putts, uphill putts and putts during some certain wind conditions, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:27 am

I perfer a flat putt. If you putt nose down the disc may not get insane lift into the wind, but it will be forced down. A flat putt will be least effected by the wind from any direction.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rooster » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:28 pm

i recently just got over nose down putting. you will miss low alot......
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

YUP!

Postby Discoman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Well I just putted my new six pack of wizards for about an hour...and although it felt like I would figure out the nose down thing after some initial succes,, it just didn't happen. Lots of low misses. I can see it coming in handy once in a while but yeah I am glad I only spent a couple hours experimenting. Thanks for the input everybody!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:25 pm

i would echo what has been said...

it's a useful skill to have in your bag (you should be able to do it when you need to) , but it's definitely not the best for a primary putting style unless you are good enough to give yourself a tail wind on every putt.

i would recommend being at least adequate at just about any style of putting, nose up, nose down, hyzer, anhyzer, straddle, jump, etc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby superq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:36 am

I used to putt nose down and one day I finally got sick of hitting the cage more than making the putt even from 15-20 feet so I went to a flatter almost nose up putt. now the only time I intentionally putt nose down is on long downwind putts or crazy downhill shots.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Return to Technique