Hyzer flip question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hyzer flip question

Postby domromer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 am

I can seem to get this in my head right. When throwing a hyzer flip. Do you relase the disc with annhyzer and then it flips flat and finally hyzers at the end, or do you relase with hyzer, it flips flat, and the genlty hyzers at the end.

I'd appreciate it if someone explained this to me.

I was throwing my cyclone and valk yesterday. I realsed them with a bit of annhzer. They went really far and straight. I thought this was the opposite of a hyzer flip, so I was really confused.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby redspexxx » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:20 am

i've always thought it to be you throw an understable disc with hyzer, durring flight it flattens out. i think the hyzer flip part is just that, not what the disc does after that(fade or keep turning over)
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:23 am

It definitely starts out with you throwing with a hyzer and the disc flattens from there. If you're new to the game and are at a higher elevation (which I'm assuming you are in Flagstaff) then you might have a difficult time flattening a new Cyclone or Valkyrie from a hyzer.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby superq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:32 am

What I want to know more about is the 4 direction flight that blake talks about.

Can we get to a better description of what that is?

I can take a stable disc and release it hyzer -1 then it will flatten out and fly-2 then it will turn right -3 then it will finish left -4

But I think Blake is talking about something else. HELP
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Amateur » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:44 am

The 4 direction flight. By Amateur.

Start with an understable disc with higher lss. Throw hard with some hyzer and release the disc high and to the left. The disc will go left (1) flip to flat (2) turn right (3) then naturally hyzer out at the end (4). Different than an S curve because you are releasing with hyzer and using the discs stability (or lack there of) to turn. S curves start turned and use the discs stability to come back. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. :oops:

I had to learn that shot for a hole on my home course. A lot of times I threw too high at first with too much hyzer and not enough power. Can you say taco? But once I figured it out I strutted a little bit. I can throw this particular hole better than my lefty buddy who's natural right curve is the ideal line. Some days I like to have fun with him and (try to) throw all the same lines he does.

EDIT:Reread SuperQ's post. I think the only difference in the hyzerflip you described and the one Blake's talking about is the release point, as one starts more left and the other starts more right. You pretty much described a turnover with a stable disc.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby garublador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:57 am

superq wrote:I can take a stable disc and release it hyzer -1 then it will flatten out and fly-2 then it will turn right -3 then it will finish left -4

If you're talking about the "PSA" he gave in an earlier thead then that's how I interpreted it, too. It's a fun shot to throw because it's not all that hard but people who haven't figured it out think it's amazing.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:17 am

This is also a really useful shot to learn as it allows you to make the disc turn right at a predesignated point. the amount of initial hyzer determines how far the disc will go straight before finally getting turned over right. Very useful when you need to have your disc go (just one example)out straight for 200-300' and then turn right but not finish going right. And Blake is right, the only non DX disc I can get to do this reliably is my SOLS. The other discs that do this 4 direction flight for me with any reliability are dx roc, x buzz gt, OLS, dx valk, beat dx teebird, and an old x xs I have. This is also the shot I throw for people who don't unerstand the complexitiy of this sport....It is a whole lot more than just throwing a frisbee and impresses the hell out of most non-dg'ers.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby superq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 am

discmonkey42 wrote:This is also a really useful shot to learn as it allows you to make the disc turn right at a predesignated point. the amount of initial hyzer determines how far the disc will go straight before finally getting turned over right. Very useful when you need to have your disc go (just one example)out straight for 200-300' and then turn right but not finish going right. And Blake is right, the only non DX disc I can get to do this reliably is my SOLS. The other discs that do this 4 direction flight for me with any reliability are dx roc, x buzz gt, OLS, dx valk, beat dx teebird, and an old x xs I have. This is also the shot I throw for people who don't unerstand the complexitiy of this sport....It is a whole lot more than just throwing a frisbee and impresses the hell out of most non-dg'ers.

OK I am not a simple man but this is still beyond me. I am thinking that I most likely can and do already execute this shot but lets break it down more.

So I am on a hole that is say 500 flat and straight ahead no obstacles I want to try the 4d throw where do I aim what angle do I release and what are the 4 directions the disc flies?

I spoke to Blake on the phone about this and We were both busy but I thought he said something about aiming right of the target and throwing with hyzer to the right... then my brain stops becuase I do not understand how the disc would get to the pin.
superq
Tree Magnet

Postby Craig » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 am

I am at 23 feet above sea level so, as TDK described in the "Playing at Different Elevations" thread, the effect is greatly enhanced.

Here's what happens for me:

Because it's not too long of a course(average hole is about 240'), I'm usually just using an aviar putter.

I aim about 6 feet right of the pin, and release with a pretty steep hyzer. The disc leaves my hand and starts curving left for the first part of its flight (10%-35% of total flight depending on release angle and snap). Then, the disc flips up flat and rides straight for about 40 - 50% of its total flight. Then it turns past straight and tracks right for most of the remaining distance, with a very small hyzer finish to the left.

I use a similar shot with a Sidewinder on a longer hole, but with a less pronounced turn to the left initially out of my hand.

likewise, I get close to the same flight from my beat Teebird, but it doesn't finish to the left - it tracks right at the end all the way to the ground.

For what its worth.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm

I am at 23 feet above sea level so, as TDK described in the "Playing at Different Elevations" thread, the effect is greatly enhanced.

Here's what happens for me:

Because it's not too long of a course(average hole is about 240'), I'm usually just using an aviar putter.

I aim about 6 feet right of the pin, and release with a pretty steep hyzer. The disc leaves my hand and starts curving left for the first part of its flight (10%-35% of total flight depending on release angle and snap). Then, the disc flips up flat and rides straight for about 40 - 50% of its total flight. Then it turns past straight and tracks right for most of the remaining distance, with a very small hyzer finish to the left.

exactly (also from close to sea level)

Though I don't have the confidence to throw that shot with a putter on a course.

I will do it with a 150 shark (though I don't usually carry that), a beat dx cheetah, and especially a thrashed 8x gazelle.

The fun thing about this shot, is deciding whether or not you want it to fade back at the end, and really, deciding how and where you want it to do what.

For me, it is a shot that allows me to hit some lines when I have to go very high very quickly. It still is a shot I only throw if the risk < the reward, otherwise a high anhyzer forhand with an over-stable disc can get the job done too.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Craig wrote:
I use a similar shot with a Sidewinder on a longer hole, but with a less pronounced turn to the left initially out of my hand.

try a disc not in premium (champ/star) plastic and the effect will be as pronounced if not more than your avair. I could get my X avengers to do it at elevation, ad dx valks too. In KS I could get the flight out of anything, including my QOLF, but that may just have ben be being a high altitude torque monkey ;-). Once I got used to the elevation my 163 SOLF was good for thes shots, w/ my OLS being even better
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:13 pm

a hyzer flip = a throw that starts with a hyzer angle and flattens and usually (but not always) turns.

a four-direction flight:
disc thrown hard with hyzer to the RIGHT.
the hyzer angle "bites" and pushes right to LEFT.
disc goes left, flattens, turns to the RIGHT
disc pans left to right and flexes back LEFT.

others have described three-direction flight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Amateur » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:49 pm

Yeah. I can't do that. You say seasoned DX plastic is the way to go for this type of shot? I think I'm going to buy a DX Gazelle and give it a workout trying this out.

Ideally how much height would be required for this throw? It seems like it'd need about 50 feet of air.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby redspexxx » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:27 pm

you'll need an understable disc. try a leopard. maybe just a little higher but not much, just think of throwing into a head wind.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby superq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:38 pm

Blake_T wrote:a hyzer flip = a throw that starts with a hyzer angle and flattens and usually (but not always) turns.

a four-direction flight:
disc thrown hard with hyzer to the RIGHT.
the hyzer angle "bites" and pushes right to LEFT.
disc goes left, flattens, turns to the RIGHT
disc pans left to right and flexes back LEFT.

others have described three-direction flight.

I am lost at "bites" I have never thrown a disc to the right with hyzer that would fly left... How does this work? it sounds to me like if I threw any disc right and hyzer it would either flatten and flip to the right or hold the hyzer angle and just be a sweep hyzer. / -\ / ???

Need to see a video, come on Blake point me to the shot.
superq
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique