best way

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

best way

Postby mysensesfailme10 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:14 pm

sorry if this has already been posted. but what would be the best way for a forehand player trying to learn how to drive the right way so be able to do both? thanks

-aj
mysensesfailme10
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:35 pm

learn how to drive the right way

As a sidearmer, I take exception to that! :D

I'm assuming you're wanting to learn how to throw backhand halfway decently? I'm still working on it myself, got a ways to go, but am gradually improving. My best advice, besides reading articles, watching other players' drives, and practicing is to get yourself a lightweight, flat flying disc. I traded with a friend and got a 150 Star Valk. That's helped me out a lot, as well as the good ol' Roc.

Also, I'd say just force yourself to throw backhand as much as possible on the course, scores and pride be damned. Just be careful not to let your forehand shot get out of practice...that's definitely one you don't want to lose from your arsenal.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mysensesfailme10 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:25 am

thanks. also i was wondering what were some good backhand beginner discs? i have a roc which i mostly throw backhanded on approaches with. and i drove with that today backhanded and did decent. i bought a 166 dx leopard also and have an archangel. any others?

also what are some things that i need to keep in mind that most people mess up on? i would like to fix the problems before bad habits are formed
mysensesfailme10
Noob

Postby jiwaburst » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:19 am

also what are some things that i need to keep in mind that most people mess up on? i would like to fix the problems before bad habits are formed

I'll give it a whirl. I threw sidearmed when I first started, and thought I was doing pretty well. Then I played a tourney at my local course and got schooled, that experience made me want to be at least passable with my backhand. Then I got forearm soreness from all my forehands, this accelerated my BH learning.

It didn't take long however before I became "normal" and learned that BH is a better and more versatile throw. I still throw sidearm for many holes, and am glad I am able to do that, but BH proficiency is the stragihtforward way to get good at this game.

Some observations from my own process:
The biggest difference is that BHs hyzer more than sidearm. This means that it is easy to throw a straight sidearm with an overstable disc and think that you are screwing up if the same disc doesn't go straight with a backhand.

Having one's wrist so that the nose is down on a driver is one of the biggest adjustments for learning backhand. This didn't feel natural for me at first, so I would throw a lot of throws that climbed slowly upwards until they got to about 20 feet it the air and then went hard left. Midranges and old school drivers are more forgiving of course for this nose angle thing, as you can read in all Blake's articles.

The run-up and the X step are more for timing than for power. Though they do add some power, it's not worth complicating your learning process by focusing on this footwork aspect of throwing. This got in my way for awhile, trying to emulate others' footwork rather then their follow through. Think of the velocity a pitcher gets from the stretch or an outfieder camping under a flyball and then exploding home with the throw. Or think of a batter exploding with the pop of the hips.

Leaning forward and following through is really important.

There is a lot more, but read the articles on this site and watch the videos and it comes fairly easily. It only took about three weeks to go from 200' BH to 275', after that came a lot of 310' throws in the wrong direction, and then eventually accuracy and distance get more consistant and it really matters what disc I choose for what hole.

For disc selection, use what you have, and when you want to buy another disc, buy a dx cheetah or dx gazelle or any of the learning discs Blake recommends and one can read about in all the posts on this site.

But if you can learn to put that roc where you want it, and can feel comfortable throwing it straight and having to curve when you want, and can drive full power with it, then you "have" the backhand.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:31 am

Yup, I agree with just about everything he said. One thing that I wanted to add is with the x-step. I say do the x-step, but do it slow and smooth. Don't worry about running right now. Like jiwaburst said, it'll add a little distance, but without a honed drive, it'll just make you erratic. I was giving my drives a little run-up at first, b/c I was discouraged at how short they flew in comparison to my forehand shots, but they were crap for accuracy. I tried slowing it down and just concentrating on the mechanics of what goes into a good throw, and really, by "walking" instead of running, you don't lose that much D, but you gain a whole lot of accuracy.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:43 am

the archangel is not good to learn with. the dx leopard may be good for turnover distance shots, and rollers... but will not make a solid versatile driver.

use the gazelle or cyclone for now. both are 'older school' drivers that will help your form and are very versatile. they are slower and less nose angle sensitive than most newer drivers, and just the right stability to be easy to throw and predictable.
get them in the base line plastics too. with those molds even high velocity tree hits shouldn't change their flight much.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique