Problems snapping wide rimmed drivers

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Problems snapping wide rimmed drivers

Postby turso » Sat May 29, 2010 11:17 am

Okay, I'm currently maxing out at around 415' with luck, more regularly at 380-400' range.

I'm snapping Stalkers to 380-400 pretty easily at the moment, and today I put a good few at 400', but my wraiths I'm having trouble getting any further than that, and at points they were bit shorter than the stalkers.

I feel a great snap with the stalkers, but I seem to have problems getting a good enough hold on the wide rimmed drivers to get the snap needed for them to get them properly over 400'. The feeling at the moment is that I just can't generate necessary grip power on the wraiths to get them snap out powerfully enough.

So the question is, anyone had the same problem and managed to fix it by changing to a bit different powergrip with the wide rimmed ones? Should I just buy a power ball or two and start rigorous wrist strength training to get my grip power up that way?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: Problems snapping wide rimmed drivers

Postby Parks » Sat May 29, 2010 1:58 pm

The power ball will probably help, but you will likely have good luck working your way up in rim widths.

See if you can grip and snap a Teebird well most of the time, and if you can, move up to a 1.9cm rim disc like an Avenger, SOLF, or Valkyrie and see if you can feel it there. Then, an Orc, Starfire, or Flash. Then a Wraith, TeeRex, or Surge.

Basically, find the widest rim that you can consistently grip and snap well, and throw with that for a few weeks. Then move up a rim size.

Repeat until you can snap the widest rim that you want to throw. You may run into finger length problems with wide rims and have a hard limit, or you may not.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby turso » Sat May 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Parks wrote:The power ball will probably help, but you will likely have good luck working your way up in rim widths.

See if you can grip and snap a Teebird well most of the time, and if you can, move up to a 1.9cm rim disc like an Avenger, SOLF, or Valkyrie and see if you can feel it there. Then, an Orc, Starfire, or Flash. Then a Wraith, TeeRex, or Surge.

Basically, find the widest rim that you can consistently grip and snap well, and throw with that for a few weeks. Then move up a rim size.

Repeat until you can snap the widest rim that you want to throw. You may run into finger length problems with wide rims and have a hard limit, or you may not.

hmm okay, I think I need to get an avenger and an orc and see what I can do with them.

turso

Postby turso » Sat May 29, 2010 2:33 pm

JR wrote:See my reply from today at:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18241&p=279069#p279069

Hmm, tried the three finger grip today before just for kicks(with index finger ON TOP of the flight plate =), got shit release so didn't think more of it than that. But I did notice I had a LOT more of leverage on the disc that way, maybe I'll try that as well to see if I can weed out the huge OAT I had with that grip.

turso

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Suffering from the same thing, at least partly. I can get my P-PDs as far as my P-DDs, but both do it in different ways. The P-DDs get there faster but don't really seem to make a "full" flight, where as the P-PDs take a lot more time but they're truly flying there. When I get the occasional really good throw in with the P-DDs they also look like they're really flying, so I know I _can_ do it, just not consistently.

At the moment I think the main thing holding me back is my feeble strength. I know it's not the main point, but I think I'm such a noodle arm I can't control my form any better before I can get muscle. I need to steal turso's powerballs...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby turso » Sat May 29, 2010 4:36 pm

oh I know how you'd like to get your hands on my balls.

turso

Postby JR » Sat May 29, 2010 11:05 pm

Before you go and exchange/fondle balls I forgot to mention one thing about holding on to discs. Grip strength limits how far you can throw before you get at least micro slips. I've thrown to 110 m on golf s-curves with a regular power grip minus the index finger being straight under the disc with the outermost joint under the wing to rim corner. Thumb finger print on top of the disc. That's about the maximum for me with that grip and I only do it because of index finger swelling. I often get less than that and when I do I don't pinch enough with the middle finger even though I do squeeze the disc with the index finger against the thumb and vice versa. The middle finger becomes the real power generation source to disc speed converter instead of the index finger in a four finger power grip.

The grip I described in the above linked thread surely requires a hard pinch from the tip of the middle finger. For 400' or more. You have taken one finger off of the power to speed conversion which ain't helpful so you really have to work to earn more D. IIRC the OP of that thread was just below the D where grip strength becomes the limiting factor to additional distance. At least for my current finger strength. So in addition to playing with your balls instead of throwing a disc (always a bad idea unless it's a Powerball or recreational activity not aimed for improvements in DG) you should also train for timing of the middle finger pinch and make it hard and to ensure you've got the finger strength by other means. Not just crush strength like with grippers but pinch strength as well. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwe1IEEsAQ and the next two parts. This is the man that first closed an Iron Mind Captains of Crush #3 according to the rules. He's also the oldest one to close it. The same user account has a lot of videos about training and some on throwing heavy items in Highland Games and training for Strong Man events.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique