heavy vs light putters

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

heavy vs light putters

Postby AbelRod » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:44 pm

im sure this is discussed somewhere but...

well whats better for push ( lob) putt heavier or lighter putter ( i know what works for you, well thats not what im looking for)

right now i put with a 169 soft challenger that i have not changed for more than a year
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Re: heavy vs light putters

Postby garublador » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Many people find they get a bit more carry with lighter putters than heavier putters without losing out on anything.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I like using max weight putters, since they remind me of throwing rocks. Throwing rocks is easy. =)

I use lighter, more understable putters only for jump putts and anhyzer lines on drives.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 pm

I swear I saw this very topic less than a week ago. Throw the heavies in the wind, the rest of the time throw what your wrist can handle.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby maxarinkel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:16 pm

jubuttib wrote:I like using max weight putters, since they remind me of throwing rocks. Throwing rocks is easy. =)

I use lighter, more understable putters only for jump putts and anhyzer lines on drives.

I agree with this. That's what I do, and that's what I've heard people say who putter better than I do. I have a stack of 175 darts and one nice floppy 162 for 50+ ft shots.
maxarinkel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Parks » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I use 167-170g for my main putters, since they get more carry. A slightly lighter putter makes a big difference when putting from a knee or when straddling since you can't get your body into it as much.

I'll occasionally use one of my 175g driving putters if I'm worried about the wind.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:40 am

AbelRod wrote:im sure this is discussed somewhere but...

well whats better for push ( lob) putt heavier or lighter putter ( i know what works for you, well thats not what im looking for)

right now i put with a 169 soft challenger that i have not changed for more than a year

Your lighter one might be easier to "push" to the basket for longer distances. Personally for me light putters = blow by city but I putt with a different style than you. I need the higher drop rate of the heavier one...and when they hit the chains they just fall into the buckett no bouncing around.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby masterbeato » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm

when i putt with a heavy putter 170g+ i find i miss low a lot, and if i correct that problem i find that i loft it too much because the heavier weight drops like a sack of lead and lighter putters carry a lot easier and a lot more without putting much effort into it, and it does not carry too far if you miss.

in windy situations it does not effect the disc very much since i throw stable molds. if the wind is 60mph thats hard for any putter to handle.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:12 am

What beato said. I use a beat up 167 Wizard and a new 168 Wizard for all of my putts. The broken in one holds a line better, white the new one can bet throw harder or with anhyzer for a straight shot. I use both in pretty much any wind.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Monocacy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 am

I ordered a stack of Wizard X-outs from 165 to 173 grams and spent the winter learning the push putt. For me, 167-168 grams is the sweet spot for a putting putter. As Dan mentioned, heavier putters tend to miss low. Lighter putters carry farther, but also seem harder to control and more susceptible to wind.

I have since switched from Wizards to Magics for putting, but the same weight is comfortable.

Why not pick up a few X-outs or used putters and see what weight works best for you? The rejects are great for playing catch or practicing driving form.
Tern | Jackal - Hatchet - Resistor | Truth - Theory | Clutch - Harp
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby emiller3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 am

I'll concur, I putt with 167-169 Wizards. With push putting, getting it there is my primary concern, missing left/right is secondary, so I'll take something more floaty and accept the risk that it will bounce off the outside chains easier.

I drive with 172's, I'll take my newest one and putt with it if I'm worried about the wind.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dig It » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:24 pm

167-169g here too with my Wizards. I carry a 175g (ILLEGAL!) for driving and a 132g Wizard for anything awesome.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby StumperTX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 am

Dig It wrote:167-169g here too with my Wizards. I carry a 175g (ILLEGAL!) for driving and a 132g Wizard for anything awesome.

By illegal do you mean you're just so awesome with it that it should be illegal, or is there an actual rules violation in there somewhere? </confused>
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
Control Drivers: S&P-PD, Evo Spirit, Proline Rogue
Fairways: Pro Leo, DX Whippet-X, Z Xtreme
Mid: ESP&Pro D Buzz
Putters: 2xMedium Voodoo, O Wizard, Polecat
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Nuke/Destroyer

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 am

StumperTX wrote:
Dig It wrote:167-169g here too with my Wizards. I carry a 175g (ILLEGAL!) for driving and a 132g Wizard for anything awesome.

By illegal do you mean you're just so awesome with it that it should be illegal, or is there an actual rules violation in there somewhere? </confused>

175g Wizards are over the legal limit as 174.3g is the most a Wizard can weigh and still be "approved" according to the PDGA Approved Disc list.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby StumperTX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:11 am

Dig It wrote:
StumperTX wrote:

175g Wizards are over the legal limit as 174.3g is the most a Wizard can weigh and still be "approved" according to the PDGA Approved Disc list.

that's interesting... is this just an oversight of some sort, or are they non-conforming for a reason?

I just pulled up the Tech Stds doc and you're right... why are 175.1g Voodoo acceptable, but not 175 Wizards? This doesn't make much sense to me...
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
Control Drivers: S&P-PD, Evo Spirit, Proline Rogue
Fairways: Pro Leo, DX Whippet-X, Z Xtreme
Mid: ESP&Pro D Buzz
Putters: 2xMedium Voodoo, O Wizard, Polecat
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Nuke/Destroyer

Next

Return to Technique