heavy vs light putters

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: heavy vs light putters

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:28 am

StumperTX wrote:
Dig It wrote:
StumperTX wrote:
Dig It wrote:167-169g here too with my Wizards. I carry a 175g (ILLEGAL!) for driving and a 132g Wizard for anything awesome.

By illegal do you mean you're just so awesome with it that it should be illegal, or is there an actual rules violation in there somewhere? </confused>

175g Wizards are over the legal limit as 174.3g is the most a Wizard can weigh and still be "approved" according to the PDGA Approved Disc list.

that's interesting... is this just an oversight of some sort, or are they non-conforming for a reason?

I just pulled up the Tech Stds doc and you're right... why are 175.1g Voodoo acceptable, but not 175 Wizards? This doesn't make much sense to me...

They take many things into account when coming up with max weights. I believe the reason the Voodoo can weigh a bit more is because it's diameter is slightly larger than the Wizard. You can see the Warlock shares both the same Diameter and Weight limit as the Voodoo. *sigh* I miss my Warlocks.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby StumperTX » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am

I emailed Dave at Gateway about this, here is his reply:

Hello and thanks for your concern, we sent in the Wizard so long ago I’d forgotten what the first ones were actually approved at.

We should probably send in all of our discs again to be measured for current production plastics and techniques, this would probably give as 1-2 grams more per model. It is quiet easy to run discs that are within certain specs and send them off for approval,,,,while production runs of discs will very in size with each run and even within each run.

Discs are allowed 8.3 grams per CM in diameter.
I’m pretty sure most Wizards would be over 21.1 cm in diameter which would allow for 175.13 grams.

The thing that I’m curious it know is, should the rule be based on the discs that are sent in or the discs that are actually in the players hands at the competition?

I’m fairly certain you will never have a problem with a 175 Wizard or any other companies disc just because of a gram or 2.

Besides Japan have you ever heard about an event where discs are being measured and weighed?
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
Control Drivers: S&P-PD, Evo Spirit, Proline Rogue
Fairways: Pro Leo, DX Whippet-X, Z Xtreme
Mid: ESP&Pro D Buzz
Putters: 2xMedium Voodoo, O Wizard, Polecat
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Nuke/Destroyer

Postby Dig It » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:52 am

StumperTX wrote:I’m fairly certain you will never have a problem with a 175 Wizard or any other companies disc just because of a gram or 2.

Besides Japan have you ever heard about an event where discs are being measured and weighed?

Nope, you wont. Most TDs are unaware there is even an Approved Disc Spec sheet. The whole "(ILLEGAL!)" thing in my post was 100% a joke. I have never played a tournament when I didn't have a 175g Wizard in my bag.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

I have 180g Wizard. That thing is so much fun to throw.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Dan basically summed up my thoughts on it.

understable putters are less affected by weight changes vs. stable putters. flippy putters basically lose wind resistance without affecting the drop rate much.

stable putters are battling gravity the whole time (unless you putt nose up or anhyzer, etc.) and their drop rate shifts faster than changes to wind resistance. e.g. a 160g wizard will be moderately better into the wind than a 200g birdie. a 170g wizard will moderately better into the wind than a 160g wizard but the range difference is probably ~14' of carry with a similar powered stroke.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Previous

Return to Technique