Off the Tee vs. Field Distance: Why so Different?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Off the Tee vs. Field Distance: Why so Different?

Postby peppermack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:40 am

The title says it all. Right now in field practice I am consistently hitting 450'+, but of the tee I am right at 400' or usually less. It is really frustrating on those long hole to know that I have the ability to bomb them out there but can't do it. Occasionally I will hit one off the tee and then I am like, "damn it, why can't I do that more often". Anyone have any advice. One thing I know is I need to warm up a little more before a round so that I am loose and can do it, but other than that I need some help guys.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Off the Tee vs. Field Distance: Why so Different?

Postby Lithicon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:16 am

Practice more on the Tee's. Especially if they're concrete or asphalt, these often hinder rotation and can limit your distance. Make sure you're getting the same rotations on the tee's as you are in the field.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby peppermack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:48 am

Lithicon wrote:Practice more on the Tee's. Especially if they're concrete or asphalt, these often hinder rotation and can limit your distance. Make sure you're getting the same rotations on the tee's as you are in the field.

Ahh...that is a great point man. I am sure that off the concrete I do not get the same rotation. I will have to check that out today.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby Lithicon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 am

I find that some people once they practice in the field for a long time, get on a teebox and confined to that space. So they end up limiting their form some ways. Same goes for coming from Tee's to the field, they feel open and often stretch their form out, getting wonky. They feel they have more room in the field, and then they often tense up on the pad to conform to this confined feeling. That's one reason I believe Blake also points out there should be so much play vs practice. At least that's one way I take the meaning of that rationale.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm

i think it might be different because you feel more pressure on the tee.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:43 pm

masterbeato wrote:i think it might be different because you feel more pressure on the tee.

...and this causes you (at least me) to tense up and not be nearly as loose and fluid. I'd say really try and loosen up and try to do what you do in practice in every way. Just like putting.

I can hit 520' in the field on line drives but on the course I'm usually 480' or so. Mainly because that kind of power isn't needed at most of my local courses. But, I can throw a comet 400' 8)
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby peppermack » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 pm

I think it is a combination of being tense, and not getting the same fluid body rotation that I get during field practice. My rotation off the grass is much better than off of a concrete tee pad. The tense thing is right to though. More often then not I throw worse off the tee, especially when playing with other people. I play by myself 95% of the time and then when there are others playing with me I suck balls:(
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby JHern » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Strangely, I have the opposite problem...I usually (but not always) get better and more accurate distance off the tee with limited lines than in an open field (or wide open hole). Maybe I feel more motivated to make the shot I need to make when I see it better-defined before me. Or maybe the wide-open field makes me strong arm, going for broke, and I get no snap. My longest throws have undoubtedly been turnover lines that thread the needle through tight fairways, when I feel the disc pull hard off my index finger through the hit.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby matchu » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:40 pm

I seem to get better rotation off of concrete, and more control.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 am

Me too. I *hate* teeing or throwing from "natural" tees vs concrete/asphalt. I can get 40-50' more distance easily from concrete vs turf. No idea why, I just feel more confident I guess.

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:00 am

patdabunny wrote:Me too. I *hate* teeing or throwing from "natural" tees vs concrete/asphalt. I can get 40-50' more distance easily from concrete vs turf. No idea why, I just feel more confident I guess.

Daniel

I notice a somewhat similar thing when comparing my tee shot drives vs. my fairway drives. On the tee pad I have 100% confidence in my footing and don't have to think about it. On the fairway, because of the uneven surface and the fact that I have severely sprained my right ankle twice, I just have no confidence in my footing. So I don't really use the same motion at my tee shot because mentally I don't have the confidence to take steps. I'm afraid that I will roll my bad ankle if I misstep. I've almost done it a couple times in the past. So without getting my full motion, I either end up with a muted throw or have to try a throw standing still, which I suck at for drives. The holes I do well on are the ones where I rarely have to throw a fairway drive. The ones where I do are the ones that can quickly go south for me.

But even comparing tee shots to practice on a softball field (where at least I have no ankle worries, but the dirt doesn't have much traction).... I still throw longer on the course. My longest on a softball field is about 290. On the course I've gone about 350.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Technique