Rotating forearm giving nose down?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rotating forearm giving nose down?

Postby Iman522 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

So I have worked for many hours trying to get nose down on my throws. I have read through many of Blake_T's articles and many other peoples board posts on here but nothing was working. I got to the point where I was throwing 340-360 consistenly with stalkers and when I switched to the PD's I threw them about 370 but there was a lot of nose up. Then the other day I was analyzing my throw against pros and couldn't find to much different (I said to much...I'm not there yet! :lol: ) Anyways I noticed on some pros throws on their reach back their palm was pratically pointing to the ground while on mine my palm was pointed more upwards. I rotated my forearm where my hand was pretty much perpendicular with the ground and lo and behold my drive increased around 30 ft. and my throws finally had some nose down.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this where by just rotating the forearm you are able to start releasing nose up or down? I am just curious for some people's inputs.
Iman522
Noob

Re: Rotating forearm giving nose down?

Postby Redisculous » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 pm

I can't really comment, except that I know this guy that throws much farther than I do, and he does this. He insists that snap i more of a wrist roll...
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Iman522 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I was throwing around again tonight and after some more significant gains with some added late acceleration I was throwing my PD's around 400. I am still having nose down on my throws but I have no idea what in the world I am doing different except this forearm\wrist rotation. I have been studying some pros forms and some rotate it and some don't so I was looking for some more input on people's thoughts on this.
Iman522
Noob

Postby Flipflat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Iman522 wrote:I was throwing around again tonight and after some more significant gains with some added late acceleration I was throwing my PD's around 400. I am still having nose down on my throws but I have no idea what in the world I am doing different except this forearm\wrist rotation. I have been studying some pros forms and some rotate it and some don't so I was looking for some more input on people's thoughts on this.

So what you're doing is at the beginning of your reach back the disc is perpendicular to the ground (nose pointing straight up), and as you pull, the disc rotates (rotating forearm) to parallel, with it's nose pointing down at release?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 am

If I understand you correctly, yes, I have done this, and it works for nose down. It feels you're tilting the disc from parallel to the ground to almost perpendicular to the ground, exposing the top of the disc to someone who would be standing on the side of the teepad, and all of the rotation is in your forearm/wrist?

I believe it helps me get the nose down, and I think it helps my release line up more correctly. From this position, when my forearm swings out and my wrist uncurls, I find that the disc ends up parallel to the ground but with good nose down. I can see that my just going through the motions slowly without throwing. Until I saw that, I was afraid that I was introducing off-axis torque and not telegraphing the shot properly, but all the evidence seems to suggest that that's not happening. See this article to recognize the potential downfalls of not keeping things lined up properly: http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml.

I haven't heard of anyone else doing it, and I can't say for sure if it's a good thing. I only do it for hyzer or straight throws, for anny's I keep my wrist neutral (instead of bending it down like usual) and focus on getting more wrist extension, pretty much what was described in the Snap 2009 thread. I make sure not to do what you're talking about if I want to throw nose up, it's an easy way to get both shots without changing your throwing motion. I have no idea if I'm doing it all correctly, my memory of any discussion Blake had on the topic is foggy, but I struggle so much with getting nose down that I've pretty much decided to go with what works. If I had good snap, it might also take care of this problem. I can throw 400', sometimes 450', but I don't have very good focus at the rip, and it could be that I should be fixing that instead of angling my disc like this, I don't know.

Could you point me to some of the videos of the Pro's you were watching, I'd like to see if we're talking about the same thing...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 am

Ok, nevermind, I think you're describing the opposite of what I'm doing. My palm is facing upwards. See if the article helps out, and I still say that whatever you need to get the disc lined up at the hit is what needs to happen, but at some point it coule come back to bite you.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Parks » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm

It depends on your driving style.

Nikko angles the disc downward in the reachback, Feldberg angles it upward.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Iman522 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:47 am

The top of the disc would be facing me and not someone else. At first I started having the disc perpendicular to the ground (I think wiggins jr. is the best example of this) but I changed it and now it is at just a little bit of an upward angle with the stamp facing me.

I really wish I could post pictures but I don't really of access to a camera so that isn't the greatest option. I will try to link up some of the pros throw analysis pictures and maybe some videos of the ones who do and don't do this.
Iman522
Noob

Return to Technique