super sekret teqniques

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: super sekret teqniques

Postby matchu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

it is really similar to tennis forehand/backhands. The volley you catch it on the strings out in front of the body, full release.. then there is the half volley. little things like following through listening to your watch really helped for example.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 am

I tried these drills this weekend and while I don't have any quantitative results to share (I threw on a course rather than in a football field), I did play a course I'm very familiar with (Grandview in DSM) so I can give some qualitative results.

I actually skimped a bit on how much I did the drills. I've been doing something similar for forehand for a while now so I already got the feel for that. I've also been doing something similar for backhand, but my focus still wasn't right. The write ups about how to incorporate what you learned from the drills into your throw helped me put more of it together. I'd do a "flip back" type drill before I threw each time starting really loose to get the feel and then "tightening it up" to get the feel whilst maintaining wrist control, all while focusing on pounding the hammer at 10-11 o'clock on the plane I'm going to throw on. Then when I'd throw, I'd mostly concentrate on pounding the hammer.

I'm not sure that I threw farther than I ever had before, but I had close to my very best throws ever on 8 or 9 holes, but all in one round. My Teebirds and Rocs were locking into flat better and fading later and my beat Gazelles were turning more than normal. I never really gave the Gazelles a chance to air out, but the Rocs, Wizards and Teebirds flew like champs. I had a Wizard stuck 15' up in a tree at the same spot it normally lands on one hole (BTW, a green disc stuck in a pine tree is a PITA to find). The thing is I'm not even sure how much lower body I was really using because I was only concentrating on pounding the hammer.

What I really like is how much less there is to think about. Rather than trying to get all of these subtle mechanics correct, you just try to pound the hammer at a certain place.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby DsmDisc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm

I've been working these drills since they were posted as well. I still have some work to do incorporating it into my drives, I'm a little inconsistent at this point. I haven't quite nailed the timing yet so I tend to spray a bit.

My mids have gotten much better though. Playing a round at Ewing this weekend, I hit the basket on #3 from about 175' away. All my mids (roc and fuse for the most part) are releasing much smoother and consistent. I'll keep at it and see if I can't improve my driving as well.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Postby aDave » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Had great success with this today. Especially helpful was the flipping from BH to FH grip with the hammer.
The feeling that I got was very similar to some drum techniques that I use. this has helped me bring my music experience into DG!
I see why this could be revolutionary. i was able to feel the inertia of the disc every time I threw. I was laser accurate and overthrew several ~250' tunnels with my Ion. I usually am short ~30' on these. I had the power to reach them before just not the accuracy that I feel like this set of drills gave me. Definite instant improvement! cant really ask for much more than that.
That being said, it's going to take some more practice to get it right with my wider rimmed discs. I was having new timing issues with these. I wasn't as consistent at getting the weight feel on them.
thanks yet again for helping my game! Now on to getting it with drivers.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I got a horrendous blister on my forefinger (between the second and third knuckle, assuming the first knuckle is closest to the tip) from pounding the hammer with the fake grip, and now I can't throw forehand at all for a while. Not what I call improvement. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:34 pm

jubuttib wrote:I got a horrendous blister on my forefinger (between the second and third knuckle, assuming the first knuckle is closest to the tip) from pounding the hammer with the fake grip, and now I can't throw forehand at all for a while. Not what I call improvement. =)

sounds like someone forgot to tape up.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 pm

keltik wrote:sounds like someone forgot to tape up.

A. Taping up like in the image would have done nothing (wrong part of the finger) and B. I was wearing a glove.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 pm

i took a huge patch of flesh off on that spot when i taught this 12 times in one day.

i have since learned to find discs that have low friction, no flashing, etc. oddly enough the disc that took it off was a power genesis. it never hit the blister stage... went right from "just fine" to "gushing blood with no skin where there should have been skin".

i also said not to do it like 200 times :P guessing you must have done it more than 20. i will try to amp up my disclaimer if it becomes a true article.

at least blisters turn into callouses.

if you notice in my videos i have a huge layer of duct tape both on the segment where your blister is and the joint near the tip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby josser » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:48 am

The only problem I have found with taping is that it takes away from the fake grip since I find it makes the disc easier to hold on to.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 am

Blake_T wrote:i also said not to do it like 200 times :P guessing you must have done it more than 20. i will try to amp up my disclaimer if it becomes a true article.

It actually was pretty close to 20-30, vertical and horizontal combined. Ya, I know I have soft girly hands. Did it with a Pro Destroyer that still had a bit of flashing, should have done it with the Nuke...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8QHevI ... re=related

sounds similar, but Blake does a lot better job explaining things.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby patdabunny » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Dave and Blake "teamed up" to write the first definitive distance driving article back in the early 2000s.

Plus, there really isn't too much to it for FHs. What dave said is pretty much it, but blake breaks it down "Barney-style" so that everyone can get it.
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I'd love to see Blake "Break it down".

Yes that was a dance joke.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Jeronimo wrote:I'd love to see Blake "Break it down".

Yes that was a dance joke.

Ask, and you shall receive:

Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Previous

Return to Technique