Getting heavy disc, no snap

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Getting heavy disc, no snap

Postby Parks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm getting the feel of the heavy disc at the end of the throw, but I'm not getting the feeling of it rotating and ripping off of the index finger.

What can I try to get the proper things to happen from this point on?

Note that I've done tons of right pec drills trying to figure it out, so I need something to focus on or else its just reinforcing bad habits.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Getting heavy disc, no snap

Postby Star Shark » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm

When you feel the disc get heavy, clamp down on your grip.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Re: Getting heavy disc, no snap

Postby JR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Feldy advocates a 70/30 grip pressure back of the hand/thumb lock. Bradley Walker clamps down with the thumb and further increases the necessary for disc pivot pinch strength by squeezing with both the middle finger and index finger. I've concentrated more on index finger strength building and clamping first but have gotten nice if similar results from the addition of tightening the middle finger as well at the end. On those few occasions I've succesfully tried it. My grip lock risk is higher with middle finger plus index pinching. That's why I haven't used it in rounds yet nor many times in field practice. My playing time sucks thanks to work and filming DG WAAAAHHHH! So little progress for me so far. And there's the stuff Feldy's clinic showed to be tried out as well when I get the time...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique