Technique for woman

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Technique for woman

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am

http://www.discgolfersr.us/forum/topics ... romote-the

There is this topic going on here and I just wanted to see what the rest of you thought. I've been trying to help my girlfriend learn how to play and throw. Most of what I know is from watching DC vids, this site, and other instructional vids. I understand that everyone's body is a little different, but is it really true that the technique to throw a disc backhand is completely different than it is for a guy? I think not personally, but these other woman are on one and seem to think that is not the case.

If it is the case, please enlighten me so that I can inform my GF and other woman I play with.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Technique for woman

Postby JR » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

The laws of nature don't change. Anatomies and personal power in each muscle group, flexibility, speedness of nerves etc. vary. Playing to your strengths vs eliminating weak spots etc. makes differences individually and it's not just gender related always. Juliana Korver has so large thigh muscles that many men pale in comparison so she probably gets a lot of power from the legs. Her arm doesn't seem like a cannon. Niloofar Mosavar Rahmani of Sweden the current ladies distance record holder of I think over 500' with a SOLF (I think 1.1) is very skinny. I haven't met her in person so I can't tell how tall she is. Des Reading is tall and gets a lot of leverage out of that long arm. Carrie Berlogar has a wicked forehand snap. Val Jenkins can't pull close to the body at so many different heights like Juliana can from anatomy constraints. I don't know exactly how any of them fare in different muscle groups and if flexibility or nerve cell operation is a concern for any of them. Val seems to have an arm though and she obviously has great power in the legs and core and she throws far. Especially stand still. Not just for a woman either.

As an average women do have slower nerves than men. Nerves can be taught to be somewhat faster. Since pulling under the chest line seems to be generating more power women without physiology constraints and fast nerves and strong muscles everywhere should be able to throw far with the same form as men. Keep in mind that scientists predict that women with their better aero- and hydrodynamic drag coefficients and generally better endurance should with the right training surpass men in long distance running and swimming events. As soon as there's a female athlete that trains like men do. And men should always dominate in quickness and raw power. Other than that it's a matter of best harnessing what you've got and removing weak spots. Because disc golf is an accuracy and throwing technique based sport women can throw far.

With current courses women can throw plenty far for what the course demands scoring wise. On many videos top females play smarter albeit safer within their limits. Men's top DG is so cut throat that they seem to push to or beyond their limits more often leading to larger scoring swings vs skill. Women on the average respect their own limits better and play well more often. Whereas men often suffer disasters on a couple of holes that put them out of contention for that event.

It's no shame to lose to the best women in the world. It happens in every sport to most males. When you tie the best women in the world it's an achievement. You know you're getting good when you mostly or always win the top _pro_ females. I certainly do respect the ladies as athletes. Juliana Korver placed close to middle of the field at USDGC once. Against most of the best male players in the world. So she was bested by only a few dozen best male players in the world -gotta respect that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:25 pm

JR wrote:Val Jenkins can't pull close to the body...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 pm

That's one way of looking at it :-) And get your mind out of the gutter :^)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby djext1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:59 am

:wink: ...just sayin...........
djext1
Noob

Postby JHern » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I've taught my wife how to throw, and she is pretty good up to about 250'. She has grown into using discs like a beat DX Valk or ESP Avenger SS for drives, and has enough power to get them to turn slightly (that's always the test to see if somebody should be throwing a given driver).

JR wrote:...anatomy constraints....Since pulling under the chest line seems to be generating more power women without physiology constraints and fast nerves and strong muscles everywhere should be able to throw far with the same form as men...

Care to elaborate on these "constraints" JR? :lol:
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby MrScoopa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Woman on woman is the best teaching method.

When my wife started playing she wasn't pivoting on her foot and following through. I tried for months to get her to just spin on her front foot and transfer the weight, no dice. One day she played in league and a girl said "You want some more D? Pretend like you are a ballerina at the end of your throw." She instantly understood what to do. :roll:

Now, she's in strong arming hell with all the goodies that come along with it: early release, less distance, frustration, and a tired arm. I say "Pull with your shoulder with a loose arm". No go. I guess another female is needed that is past that plateau. She'll say something magical in woman talk and then, ta-da! :?
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby Taotefling » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm

MrScoopa wrote:Woman on woman is the best teaching method.

And there's so much about "woman on woman" I want to learn. Too bad my wife won't let me.
Tao Te Fling believes "Man's got to know his limitations."
Taotefling
Noob

Favorite Disc: we'll see

Return to Technique