BH Roller Question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

BH Roller Question

Postby Mike C » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:58 am

I'm new to rollers. I've only been trying them for about a month. I got interested in them because I found out I can do a BH roller as far as I can drive, if not a touch further.

So far there seems to be two different styles of BH roller I've seen / tried.

1. Take something way understable, and throw it flat or slightly anny, and let the disc turn over into a roller.

2. Take something stable, and as you release throw with an extreme anhyzer angle (From 10:30 to 4:30) and let the disc land at an angle and gradually turn itself upright as it rolls.

I've been doing #2 with a Stalker and have been having great success. Is there anything wrong with this? Whenever BH rollers are discussed, people seem to recommend stingrays, beat understable fairway drivers, roadrunners etc. Is there any advantage to using this method opposed to the way I've been throwing mine? Or is it simply a matter of learn both, so you have more tricks in your bag?

Just in case it matters, when I throw my rollers I toss them about 30' high and they go 100' or so before hitting the ground.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: BH Roller Question

Postby Aubin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 pm

i'm NO expert on rollers at all, but i think I can help a little.

first answer is yes, learn both, and forehand/cut rollers too. But I think most people use beat/understable stuff to roll BH so that they can throw/release closer to their normal throw, which is more reliable and comfortable, let the disc do the flipping and rolling. also, when you throw with an extreme anhyzer (10:00 to 4:00 or even 11 to 5) it's tough to 'snap' the disc to generate spin; release a beat disc flat to slight anny, with lots of wrist snap to get that thing flipping and rolling. i think it's easier for most folks to get a good roller from beat discs snapped well instead of extreme angles.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby pg043 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 pm

learn to throw a roller as many different ways as you can with as many different discs. you should be able to put one down on the ground quick, sky one out over an obstacle and then make it roll, go straight, cut left then right, etc. the major difference between the two types that you brought up at that type 1 is going to probably go in more of a straight line then finish to the right (for RHBH) and type 2 will have more of an "S" line to it. type 2 is also the way to achieve much bigger distance. discs like stingrays, stratuses, etc. are range limited. just like a thumber or spike hyzer, it's good to know your ranges with various discs
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Mike C wrote:I'm new to rollers. I've only been trying them for about a month. I got interested in them because I found out I can do a BH roller as far as I can drive, if not a touch further.

So far there seems to be two different styles of BH roller I've seen / tried.

1. Take something way understable, and throw it flat or slightly anny, and let the disc turn over into a roller.

2. Take something stable, and as you release throw with an extreme anhyzer angle (From 10:30 to 4:30) and let the disc land at an angle and gradually turn itself upright as it rolls.

I've been doing #2 with a Stalker and have been having great success. Is there anything wrong with this? Whenever BH rollers are discussed, people seem to recommend stingrays, beat understable fairway drivers, roadrunners etc. Is there any advantage to using this method opposed to the way I've been throwing mine? Or is it simply a matter of learn both, so you have more tricks in your bag?

Just in case it matters, when I throw my rollers I toss them about 30' high and they go 100' or so before hitting the ground.

If whatever Mike C is doing with rollers is giving him "great success" then there is nothing wrong with it, heck he should patent it, bottle it and sell it. :D

Just like with any shot, first figure out one way which works for you before figuring out new and different ways which also might work. But because we deal with different fairways and upshot windows on every hole, sometimes the preferred route is not available. So if the only way out of the rough is a low, small window then an understable disc may be the only thing you can get to roll towards the basket.

I view rollers as more useful as get-out-of-trouble shots than drives off the tee. My rollers don't go farther than my air shots and are a lot more risky so unless there is a very low window (overhanging branches blocking the fairway) or poke-and-hope fairways, I usually opt for air shots. Some players, though, throw rollers much farther than their air shots, and through long practice have the confidence to use them off the tee.

No shots are more fun than rollers. No shots are more risky than rollers.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Roy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:22 pm

anyone know of any good roller tutorial vids online?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby krik72 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 am

For distance I find the stable disc approach is the best, the key for a long roller is a heavy disc that will hold the roll for a long time. I find understable discs catch the edge and rollover quickly compared to a stable disc which has a nice long left to right shift (RHBH). Anything thats not for max distance I think anything goes just do what works.
| Wizard - Ion | Buzzz - Fuse | XXX - TeeBird | S-PD - Destroyer |

Help my drive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelP-tx6bQo
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19836
krik72
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S-PD

Postby Danforth » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

I just inherited a stack of 175g DX Kites. I've been told that they are a good disc to learn FH rollers with. Has anyone else used 'em and had good luck?
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Return to Technique