How to slow down with my upper body

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to slow down with my upper body

Postby weedjj » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm

I am at the point where I need to get my legs more involved at the beginning of my throw. I have realized I am almost exclusively upper body and need to get my lower body starting my forward momentum. I can feel it without a disc in my hand and feel like I can mimic the throw pretty well. As soon as I get a disc in my hand, my legs go out the window, they just dont feel right.

Are there any drills that will help me slowing down my upper body or better yet, something to help me feel my legs more and get more drive from them?
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Re: How to slow down with my upper body

Postby Mike C » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 am

Try doing a full speed x-step with your arms hanging down limp at your side. With nothing but the rotational power your body generates through an x-step, you should be able to make your arm swing up, despite not using any arm muscles.

Repeat this a few times, it will help get the idea of driving the arms with the lower body into your head. When you go to throw it's easy to think about ripping the disc out of your hand by whipping your arm out there as fast and hard as possible, but when you relax the arm muscles completely and do what I described it makes it obvious how little the arm muscles need to be involved.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:47 am

pound the backhand hammer:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Redisculous » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Slowing down with the upper body is easy. Stop TRYING to move your upper body. It's automatic. Both the moving AND the slowing of the upper body.

Stand still in the athletic position, weight neutral, reach back. Let the twisting of your upper body move your hips. When I do this, the hips BARELEY point back, just a few degrees. Now, shift your weight to the back foot, while keeping that tight, twisted feeling through your side, and the back of your shoulder, NOW you will feel your hips rotate back. From here, it's just a matter of pushing with your back foot and shifting your weight forward (with your lower body) to get your hips to turn 90 degrees. 90 degrees is all you need, 90 degrees puts you in postion to aim, to crack the whip, to pound the hammer. What really helped me at this point was to *almost* make an effort to NOT let my upper body come around. When you feel the tug, just relax and go with it. Viola, the upper body comes around to the 90 degree position and you can use that momentum alone to sling your arm forward in whip like fashion.

I don't know if I would call this a drill, but this is what I do whenever I feel like I am over turning with my upper body, or just not getting any lower body power.
Hope it helps.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Return to Technique