The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby zj1002 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:37 am

Been focusing a lot on the timing of weight transfer. I can transfer my weight decent with a 360 but had a lot of trouble timing it with an xstep until I realized I was dipping and popping my front shoulder again. I have found I get level shoulder planes when I use an approach similar to Nikkos, and it also generates some effortless 475 ft lasers with my wraith. Weight trasnfer really is huge and I'm scared to think how far I can throw when I improve that. I have had some initial results with slightly bending my knees and focusing on transferring into the out motion. I get more nose down but I haven't practiced enough to time it everytime
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby roman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 am

JR wrote:Cool just keep that new feeling and form! Would you say your previous form had more tension in the arm muscles early on in the throw? And that the arm acts more whip like now?

I tried to keep my arm loose in my old form, so I can't say it had a lot of tension in the arm muscles. I guess a whip would be one way to describe it. I almost want to say it's like a sling or a catapult or something :) Haha, kind of a weird feeling.

My reachback now is a lot shorter. It's harder for me to time the snap of the wrist with a long reachback. My wrist hardly gets past my rear shoulder. I definitely notice a little bounce in my wrist as it pops near my chest and whips around during the snap. Really, the biggest difference between the old and the new form is in the old form I just pulled through in a straight line, tried to get the disc into the power zone, and then accelerate from there. I was missing that little wrist bounce. I don't know why I started doing it, but it makes all the difference in the world. It's hard to explain in writing. Easier to show in person.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Bradley_Walker copied the reach back of Chris Voigt and doesn't keep the arm close to the body in the reach back. So they pull close to the body in the right pec position. I'm not sure how Chris goes from there because i don't have video of him that shows how he throws. Do you go in a straight line along the axis of the running direction or do you pull the arm to the right in the same vector as the arm moved from the reach back to the right pec? That will move the arm to the right of the right side unlike in a straight pull. Pulling the arm to the right changes aiming completely. I haven't tried that a lot because of the radical aiming change. Maybe in time. In stand still practice the automated part of the wrist snap is way faster than in a straight line pull.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jenb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 am

I read about the thumb this morning and got all psyched up to go try some drives, so I stepped out into the field behind my house and started ripping some 165 dx teebirds, and 150 champ valks and SWs. I guess there is something getting lost in translation, because I couldn't get more distance, and my drives started spraying all over the place (mostly annys right).

I went back to my throw I've been developing and got my accuracy back. My distance is still only about 300 feet max, but that's with low level line drives having an apex about 5 feet high. My throw feels to me like popping a towel. It's the same mechanic. But it doesn't seem to me like I'm turning my arm into a whip so much as whipping the rim of the disc at about navel height. I saw a 1000+ rated local pro doing this technique at a tournament, and I was able to connect to it and copy it immediately and instinctively. I've seen other pros doing other things that I just have not connected with at all or been able to immitate. One thing I noticed today about the popping the towel mechanic is that the elbow and wrist stop, and I'm getting up over the disc, so that seems to be in line with some of the things you've been saying.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby roman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 am

JR wrote:Bradley_Walker copied the reach back of Chris Voigt and doesn't keep the arm close to the body in the reach back. So they pull close to the body in the right pec position. I'm not sure how Chris goes from there because i don't have video of him that shows how he throws. Do you go in a straight line along the axis of the running direction or do you pull the arm to the right in the same vector as the arm moved from the reach back to the right pec? That will move the arm to the right of the right side unlike in a straight pull. Pulling the arm to the right changes aiming completely. I haven't tried that a lot because of the radical aiming change. Maybe in time. In stand still practice the automated part of the wrist snap is way faster than in a straight line pull.

My pull now definitely starts farther away from my body. I used to pull in a straight line, now it is a straight line towards my right peck then slings towards the target. I'd have to take a video of myself throwing to see if the disc is pulled straight or not, though. As I go through the motion right now it almost seems as if the disc would still be going in a straight line despite me starting the pull wider.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby DiscGolfer947 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Idk how this works for anybody, I can't even do the fake grip, I quit, never playing this stupid sport again...jdkfjfdfjfckckdkdkvcjdh!!!!
DiscGolfer947
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby MrScoopa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Idk how this works for anybody, I can't even do the fake grip, I quit, never playing this stupid sport again...jdkfjfdfjfckckdkdkvcjdh!!!!

Unrelenting determination is the #1 ingredient.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby JR » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 am

Roman the change to pulling from away from the body reach back alone may give you better snap. Not any more d for me other than perhaps a few feet but i've also gained muscle power compared to the last time i did a shootout.

jenb what did you try with the thumb and what is your consistent form thumb placement and orientation? Top down like Jenkinses or flat along the top of the disc. How do you spread the grip power between the base of the thumb and the finger print when you grip the disc prior to the throw, at the right pec position and once the disc pivots out of the palm?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sunspot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 am

Here are a some things that have helped me "feel" the weight of the disc shift:

1. Closing my eyes. When I did this I went slow to pinpoint the weight shift.

2. Practicing with a fork, pen, or other utensil that isn't round. This helped me established a visual marker when the point of the utensil went from pointing away to pointing forward after the weight shift, ala Blake's pen drill. Obviously, you have be careful with this one.

3. Practicing with something that is smaller in diameter. Something like a coke, coffee, or other plastic lid. Sort of like # 2 but it mimics a disc better. This method I was able to actually throw them without causing damage.

Hopefully, this may help other people visualize the weight shift.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Judge » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

ok i have been reading and practicing these techniques but due to a busy schedule have yet to take them to the field more than once. The one question I have and didnt see when the distance is talked about is what range of disc should some one be putting out to 350 plus? what I mean is it Mid range , Fairway, or Distance drivers? I understand different weight discs and body types make a difference and that has to be figured out by the person. I just figure that there is a nice average disc area to start. Thanks for your help in advance.
Judge
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:04 am

it depends on what your goal is. using the "reverse thumb lead" method i'm putting midranges 350'+. if i was playing a round that counted i wouldn't try to push a mid that far.

it's usually a sliding scale, and being able to put a mid 350' usually means you have a launch velocity in the 50+mph range.

A Roc at 350' is equivalent to a Buzzz at 385', a Teebird 425', and a Destroyer like 460'.
A Roc at 300' is equivalent to a Buzzz at 330', a Teebird 360', and a Destroyer like 410'.

discs tend to be most accurate when you try to throw them ~50' shorter than your max range with them.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am

ok thanks Blake I have a long way to strive for my rock is only 200-250 and my buzzz is 225-280 and teebird is 270-300 and the destroyer i usually forehand or throw when its really windy so im not sure on it.
Judge
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:53 pm

at your current launch velocity you won't have enough speed on the destroyer to get it to fly well consistently without headwind assistance. you're about 50' with the teebird (320-350') from getting the destroyer to behave well without severe OAT and more like 80' away from getting consistent control on the destroyer without OAT.
Blake_T

Postby GRHE » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:34 am

I'm just starting to try these drills out and its helping a ton. Could someone please clarify for me: I have stopped doing run-ups and with a smooth clean release I can throw out to about 200-250 with my cheetah. I'm not hitting at all yet but I am ripping the disc out consistently. If I try to throw harder I get a severe pull to the right like I'm throwing a roller (and it usually does turn into one). It would be safe to say that this is OAT right? Thanks
GRHE
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Wraith

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:47 pm

If I try to throw harder I get a severe pull to the right like I'm throwing a roller (and it usually does turn into one). It would be safe to say that this is OAT right? Thanks

the roller part indicates OAT.

pulling to the right could be one of a few things, such as pulling too far from your body or starting your pull too fast in relation to your upper body.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Technique