Odd grip/rip point question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Odd grip/rip point question

Postby patdabunny » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Hey all,

I noticed just messing around that I may be losing a little power by having my index finger not be the tightest grip. It's tighter at my pinky (I stack my ring finger on my pinky for strength and comfort) than it is at my index finger. Is there a way to cure this without going to another grip? I can do that, but I'm really comfortable with this grip.

For those that don't know, I can throw over 500' so I'm doing something right but I feel that in this area I may be a little off.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Odd grip/rip point question

Postby jubuttib » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Feldberg seems adamant (after being hooked into MACHINES OF BIOMETRIC SCIENCE) that the best grip pressure for driving is about 30% front, 70% back. Has helped me at least.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby patdabunny » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:56 am

Well, I finally hit the practice field yesterday and could look at it pretty closely. When I put probably 80/20 front/rear pressure, my drives were probably 30-50' further than my regular grip, which had much more pressure on the stacked ring and pinky fingers. The discs also went straighter and had less tendency to fade until very late in its flight when using more index finger pressure. (Yes, I realize that that means more spin.) I also got a big "snap" sound along with it. (Again before I get flamed, I know that the sound doesn't mean much. I hadn't been getting it before this.)

Anyone else seen improvements in driving by moving your grip from a "whole hand" grip to an index/thumb lock?

Daniel

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 pm

I don't mean to flame but...Brasky throws 1 million internetz for those that don't know. He uses a kung fu grip that can rip through a cow.

Paging Bradley Walker. Bang, bang, bang. I believe the pinky pressure would have to release before the index for good disc pivot/spin. More pinky pressure before pivot should add more pivot/spin.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby turso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 am

I have a problem with the grip as well, since the snap with wide rimmed drivers isn't nearly as good for me as narrow rimmed ones. It's good to have lots of grip with pinky, ring and middle finger, but it loses potential if you can't hang on to the disc with your index finger to produce a proper pivot snap out of it. I get a GREAT snap out of a stalker which is only speed 7, I can feel my index finger nearly being ripped off as the disc pivots out my hand. But with anything wider I lose the index finger pivot nearly completely and have to rely on back grip rip, mostly anyhow. I know if I could get those both work hand in hand the disc would be relatively easy to get over 500', I think I need to start strengthening my grip to make it happen.

It seems the secret is to combine the two, but so far it's proven quite difficult to do, at least for me :)
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby patdabunny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:55 pm

seabas22 wrote:I don't mean to flame but...Brasky throws 1 million internetz for those that don't know. He uses a kung fu grip that can rip through a cow.

Paging Bradley Walker. Bang, bang, bang. I believe the pinky pressure would have to release before the index for good disc pivot/spin. More pinky pressure before pivot should add more pivot/spin.

Why the flame? :roll:

It is good to have some pinky pressure, but it's taking away from my index/thumb grip pressure, thus reducing the amount of spin from what I've read previously on DGR. That's why I'm asking the question.

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby patdabunny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Here's a clarification as to what I experience. When I do a "dry run" of a throw, as the disc is about to rip out of my hand (normally), I feel the disc weigh heavily on my pinky but my index/thumb combo are VERY loose. Even to the point of not being able to hold onto the disc, if it wasn't for my pinky/ring/middle fingers. This is why I think I'm not getting all the power I think I should be able to. Plus, this might be creating some OAT as well.

Should I load my grip such that my index/thumb grip is heavily loaded and then the other fingers are just "there," not doing much?

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique