Angle of run-up question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Angle of run-up question

Postby josser » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 pm

I noticed, when watching the Vibram Open coverage, that almost all the RH pros go from right to left on the tee for their regular drives.

I'm LHBH. My run-up is straight on for flat shots and (from DGR wisdom) right to left for hyzers (open the hips) and left to right for anhyzers (close the hips).

Anyway, what are there good reasons, beyond getting your hips extra open, to have the angled run-up as opposed to a straight-on one?
Last edited by josser on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Angle of run-up question

Postby JR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:52 am

Double pivoting makes you turn faster. If you manage to pivot with the left leg in the x step and then with the right in the plant step you'll turn around faster. It is more difficult to time aiming and form that way. It also strains the body more. If they are trying to roll or throw steep annies the rotation of the body and the elbow chop is assisted by gravity to be a little faster.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby biodarwin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:29 pm

josser wrote:I'm LHBH. My run-up is straight on for flat shots and (from DGR wisdom) left to right for hyzers (open the hips) and right to left for anhyzers (close the hips).

weird, I do the exact opposite.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby josser » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 pm

biodarwin wrote:
josser wrote:I'm LHBH. My run-up is straight on for flat shots and (from DGR wisdom) left to right for hyzers (open the hips) and right to left for anhyzers (close the hips).

weird, I do the exact opposite.

Oops I wrote thinking I was translating to RHBH. I actually do the opposite as well
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby fanter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:08 pm

JR wrote:Double pivoting makes you turn faster. If you manage to pivot with the left leg in the x step and then with the right in the plant step you'll turn around faster. It is more difficult to time aiming and form that way. It also strains the body more. If they are trying to roll or throw steep annies the rotation of the body and the elbow chop is assisted by gravity to be a little faster.

I'm not sure what you mean by "double pivot." I'm also LHBH and I used to do an anny-type run up but have recently quit because I was torquing discs hard left that should have been straight otherwise.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

For a lefty a double pivot of the legs means that in your x step with the right leg you come to it moving in an arc and pivot on that step so that the left leg plants also moving in an arc also pivoting. There's more to go wrong here with timing and missing in the left to right direction than with a straight run up and a straight arm pull but it will generate more power from the legs. So it's best suited for open holes and max D competitions. The more often you pivot with more steps the more power you generate. As longs as you won't lose balance or get too tired to add speed with the consecutive pivots.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 am

I use the direction of my run up to help get my body and momentum in the direction of the release. I notice days my accuracy is off often is because my mental game is getting weak and I am just running straight up all the tee pads.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Technique