Thanks Blake for tons of hard work

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Thanks Blake for tons of hard work

Postby masterbeato » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Blake_T wrote:shift first, then putt.

that is exactly what i was going to say.

i learned exactly this when i was watching a local pro putt for many years, he kicks his back leg up before he even stroked the putt and he is a very good putter so i took a little bit of that into consideration even though he has a solid stroke in itself. that has made a big improvement in my putting stroke recently by making correct weight transfer like that so i do not have to stroke a putt very hard.

because of that i have comeback putts in my 100% comfort range 99% of the time.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:04 am

Shift first, then putt. Will try that. I'm serious now, I'm tired of having an on-again off-again putting game.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Wyno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 am

Just a quick back-on-topic here; great big thanks to Blake!
Played my first tournament this weekend, and even though I played badly it gave me a ton of confidence. Playing badly came from not trusting my form enough, I've fiddled with it too much right up to the tournament. What I learned, however, was that my form is pretty solid compared to most players, and all I lack is consistency - so now I'm just going to concentrate on getting a lot of reps in without worrying so much any more. I was really amazed by how many presumably competent players get by with terrible form and just a couple of shots to choose from (nose up anhyzer drives come to mind). A couple of times I got comments like "what are you doing driving so straight, that's for the pros!" :D
Everything I do I've learned from this site, and it works! I should have trusted it more and I would have played better...

PS: Shift then putt sounds about like what I'm feeling on my best and straightest putts, If I feel the weight of the putter too much it seems to be a sign of being too fast - when it clicks I sort of use my body to move my arm and the finger spring/palm push is really quick and light. Does that sound about right?
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Iman522 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Blake you truly are some sort of ninja with super jedi technique things that just are legit. I had previously shifted my weight during my stroke and after shifting first then putting it was like BAM perfection. The whole secret techniques wasn't quite that easy for me but because of it I am hitting lines like never before even if there really wasn't any distance gain. Thanks again and for real though...all disc golf knowledge you speak is the real deal.
Iman522
Noob

Postby josser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:04 pm

mark12b wrote:How about this for a weight-shift drill: Make a fist. Put a disc upside-down on your fist. Lock your elbow at your side. Lock the wrist too. Now the goal is to make the disc go into the basket just by using weight shift. You can thrust from the hips, spring up from bent knees, skateboard-kick, whatever. The goal is control more than distance -- you want that disc flying toward the basket. Distance will come when you add the regular (a) part of the putt back in.

This drill I like (and should have been creative enough to think of it myself). It seems like it will do a good job of teaching me ....

Blake_T wrote:shift first, then putt.

Of course! :oops:

With the long arm putt I can start the shift later, but with short arm I have to start it earlier which means shifting before putting. Slow and steady is how the learning goes. (Thanks Blake)
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby josser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Back to report on mark12b's weight shift drill and Blake's "shift first" advice.

Well hells jyeah I say.

I started with my regular straddle stance and tried all sorts of bent-knee and skateboard-kick action and the disc would plop right down in front of me. I then remembered that mark12b had mentioned thrust from the hips and then remembered that Barry Schultz is a real hip-thruster straddle-putter. So I switched to straddle and gave a big old pelvic thrust and voila, the disc got a bit of actual distance. I swithed back to staggered-stance and used hip-thrust there and it was working pretty well for mark12b's drill.

I then brought in Blake's shift then putt advice and it was full of awesomeness. I didn't try to see how far out I could get, but those 20 foot putts felt like less than 15 footers.

Pretty sweet.

Go team hip thrust.

Thanks gents.

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mark12b » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 pm

sweet, glad to hear it! hip thrust feels a bit rude but it really works! :-)
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby josser » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 pm

mark12b wrote:sweet, glad to hear it! hip thrust feels a bit rude but it really works! :-)

I'm thinking about adding a grunt for the full effect.

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Throw in a crotch grab and a "HEE HEE!" and you're done.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Leopard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks Blake Ellis for tons of Mark
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Previous

Return to Technique