All of a sudden I can't do shit right

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

All of a sudden I can't do shit right

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:31 pm

So these last three weeks have been stupid as far as my DG game goes. I'm throwing the same D with less effort(obviously longer with more power in the throw) but it has come at a severe price. I cannot throw on any intended line at all. I am late releasing all my BH drives(BTW 380'-400' golf D with a Surge) and I'm early on all my FH's(320'ish with a Crush). I cannot for the life of me figure out how my timing got so far off. It really got to me today as tunnel shots I usually have no problem parking with a Comet were all released way out right(RHBH). My drives still have the correct angle I want on them but just so late released. I've tried slowing down even more than I usually am(I have the slowest run up of anyone I know) and I've tried speeding up. Neither corrected it. I thought maybe it was because I was trying to throw too hard but that wasn't it either even powering down I was still late. This has never been a problem for me. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated as I have the MI state finals this coming weekend and don't really want to suck ass there. Also, my putting has been way off but I know what I need to do to fix that. GRRRRRR

Also, it feels Like I am getting more snap on the disc thanks to Blake's SST. Maybe I am just hitting it at the correct time now and was early releasing before but got used to it. I don't think that is it because my aim used to be dead on(hitting lines was my strong point) and I feel like I'm aiming at the same spots but coming out late. Subconsciously maybe I was compensating for my early release?
Last edited by Robin Hood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: All of a sudden I can't do shit right

Postby keltik » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:41 pm

video??
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:16 pm

When I finally started getting a good grip and rip on my drives I started to pull to the right (RHBH) pretty damn severely. I'd definitely adjusted my timing to a slip release. I'm currently in the process of adjusting my timing, but I'm not quite there yet. As a quick fix I just aim to the left of where I want the disc to actually go.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby mark12b » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:16 pm

yeah, i've been practicing the sst too and found the same thing, stuff going right. more than it did when i was learning the right pec drill. tried pounding the hammer closer to my body, farther out front, slower, faster, etc., without much change. for the tournament this past weekend i compensated for it mainly by changing the angle of my plant foot and that worked like a charm, had no problems at all with aim.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:00 am

Let me clarify, as I think I need to, I'm ripping the disc over like a turnover line. Still getting my regular slight hyzer release. Every throw is just late, as in a slight griplock. Not to say I'm griplocking it but the disc is not coming out on time like it used to 3 weeks ago.
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:28 am

Do this at your own risk I'm not liable for any damages to anyone or anything.

Painful test: Stand back to a wall with a disc in hand put your throwing arm perpendicular to the ground disc as far away from the side as possible. Back up the disc so that your elbow bends back about 20 degrees and throw without anything else breaking contact with the wall than from the elbow to the disc. Don't break the wrist from neutral to the right. Note: You must do this outdoors without any breaking stuff being on the way. Something to pad the knuckles and elbow would be great to wear. If you managed to throw instead if hitting the wall with the disc bend the elbow more each time you manage to throw. If you can manage farther back than the right pec your arm may be doing things well. If you hit the wall with the disc early on you probably aren't accelerating late or hard enough or break the wrist to the right. Correcting actions depend on what the issue is. If it's not the arm it may be timing of the legs, hips, shoulders and arm in relation to each other. Are you yanking any part? Do you have a pause where the torso remains close to 90 degrees left of the target when the disc is pulled from left pec to right? If not that might very well help. The torso can turn a little and it's natural and often not harmful if the turning is slow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Pat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Im having the same results as Robin. My thinking is that it is a timing issue.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Let me clarify, as I think I need to, I'm ripping the disc over like a turnover line. Still getting my regular slight hyzer release. Every throw is just late, as in a slight griplock. Not to say I'm griplocking it but the disc is not coming out on time like it used to 3 weeks ago.

Yes, still sounding very familiar.

Besides, there's no such thing as a griplock. There's just gripping it properly but failing to snap at the right time. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:13 pm

I certainly had one grip lock with late acceleration that was so messed up this summer. The first of the long uphill throws under the power lines at Tammisaari I hit my left side with the disc and was hell bent on ripping far so I jammed the accelerator to the floor and my arm did automatic clenching of the disc without any thinking to avoid slipping purely subconsciously. My arm muscles tensed up way more than I can command consciously. Too bad that I threw to trees to the right and way high. Lucky kick to FW.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Hit the field today with mixed results. When focusing on a proper release time and throwing at about 80% or more power, my drivers were coming out on line, smooth, and far. The same can't be said for my mids and putter though. I think I may know what I'm doing though. I have been throwing softer than usual and focusing on popping the disc at the end. This is what I think is causing the late release. From the SST drills I've been real loose with my grip until the hit. Now some will say, "that's what your supposed to be doing!" I on the other other hand think it may be holding it too loose. You could feasibly stand behind me and pull the disc from my hand with your pinky. I think I need to tighten up my grip up just a bit to get my timing back on. Also, I know I'm snapping the disc more, I can feel and see that. Which is a good and bad thing as it has made my flippy Comet a little bit unpredictable, though this could also be due to the late release issue. I feel like more time in the field tomorrow should hopefully correct this garbage I have been throwing. Updates after league tomorrow evening.
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 am

Might as well be me saying that you do get a faster arm motion and better snap if you keep the grip as loose as you described initially. The looser I grip initially the farther I throw. Try to tighten the grip earlier to see if your theory is correct. SST drills can easily be the culprit for right releases. Try also to use more typical discs in your bag like drivers to see if they fare better. Comets are harsh on their own changing form practicing with Comets is a tall order. To tall for many without a lot of time and patience to invest I'm afraid.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique