How to throw an air bounce?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to throw an air bounce?

Postby Codester101 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 pm

I keep hearing talk of airbounces here, is that when you throw it downward, but flat angle of attack, and the flight takes advantage of the ground effect to gain more lift? if so, how do you throw these? I think I might have got it... I tried throwing my putter downward, and at the last second applying extra downward pressure at the back with my thumb... Is this right?
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Re: How to throw an air bounce?

Postby mark12b » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

downward trajectory, nose-up, anhyzer. you can play with the ratios to get different flights. and yeah, kind of a thumb-scoop motion at the end.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 am

Codester101 wrote:I tried throwing my putter downward, and at the last second applying extra downward pressure at the back with my thumb... Is this right?
That's a perfect description of how I do it, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Smigles » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mT9NNMASlA

I know that this vid is for ultimate. I know this throw only from ultimate, i have not managed to do it with the smaller golf discs. Not that i have realy tried though. It kinda goes against most things you should watch for in drives like the angle of the disc or the straith line in which you should pull the disc.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby garublador » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 am

Smigles wrote:It kinda goes against most things you should watch for in drives like the angle of the disc or the straith line in which you should pull the disc.
I don't know that I've ever tried it for a drive. I use it for approaches, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:11 pm

A 1000-rated dude that I play with often throws air bounces on almost all his drives...he gets big hyzer bombs out to about 500' and can hit 400' holes with his putter...sheesh, I can't even get to 400' without turning a Katana over just right.

Throwing an air bounce causes some unique aerodynamics to come into play. I think something like a pocket of turbulent air is generated under the disc, which stays with it for a while as it flies. This turbulent air in turn generates more lift and "bounces" the disc back upward.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:52 pm

I love air bounces. I especially love applying the principle to hyzers and anhyzers. You can throw very hard, the disc (FR ION is my weapon of choice for this) will go only a bit forward and then much longer sideways. Good for throwing from behind trees and navigating around corners. Get-out-of-trouble shot, really. Also good as a straight approach shot, disc lands pretty much vertically so it won't skip away, also harder to accidentally overpower the shot.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JHern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:25 am

This topic has stuck in my head. I was just playing around with this yesterday, throwing my putters (mostly Wizards) with air bounces. In my case I'm getting a lot of jump in height of the disc, but I know I can work on this more and get it down a bit in case I want to hit a low ceiling or something. You might be thinking: why would you think about an air bounce to hit a low ceiling anyways? Well, this can be very useful if you can throw it low and get it to bounce back upwards after it gets under whatever it is it needs to get under...then it will become more elevated, and of course putters just need more elevation to keep penetrating forward. I can imagine some wicked possibilities, if I can learn this technique better.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mark12b » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 am

ya, it's really a matter of developing the feel for it and then working on the trickier stuff. e.g. moving the "bounce point" farther away makes the angle of approach shallower, which means it's harder to get the nose angle just right. or doing a hyzer bounce off a point up in the air -- tricky but not impossible once you understand what you're trying for.

i haven't found a lot of times on the course where an airbounce was the best option, but sometimes it's fun to pull out in doubles or whatever. for me they are kind of hard to range.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique