Gripping putts

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gripping putts

Postby Peot » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 am

I've wondered recently if changing my grip while putting would give me some more consistency. Putting is easily the best part of my game, but when it vanishes it hurts my score dramatically. I opt for a finger on the rim and the rest of my hand pretty much grabbing the underside of the disc, which does allow for plenty of spin, but I have also read that the finger out will produce some inconsistencies (some of which I have certainly noticed). So what gives? How do you grip 'em and why?
Peot
Tree Magnet

Re: Gripping putts

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 am

Index finger resting across bottom of rim, contact against the side of its first knuckle. The rest of the finger just sort of hangs there - I don't hook it around onto the inside of the rim. I fan the rest of my fingers out under the middle of the flight plate to get finger spring.

...because that's how I roll? (and it rarely catches on release, is repeatable, etc). Oh, and I pitch putt with something akin to Blake's short-arm technique - but I also use this for close approaches and throw-ins to avoid going too far past/over (even though I still do).
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Powdertoast » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 am

My putting grip is similar to what Dr. Burd described, but I rest the rim on the left edge of my index finger about at where my index fingernail ends. I also put my pinky pad against the rim.

My style is a pitch starting low and moving up with release point around belly button height. Movement is shoulder bringing arm straight vertical and wrist going from close to fully closed to neutral for some spin, and a bit of finger spring at release. Elbow is kept straight during the putt. I'm still kind of playing with it, but it's comfy, I can repeat it, and I hit very consistently inside 30'.
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.... It looks like a mirac... It's in the chains!
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Vector

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 am

Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby kern9787 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 am

jubuttib wrote:http://innovadiscs.com/images/grips/P1010036.jpg
My choice, pretty much.

Same here.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mark12b » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:42 pm

similar here, but i curl the index finger around more. this tip increased my % noticeably:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... shtml#grip
A good sign that your grip is stable and in a position to get a clean release with maximum control is if you can lift your thumb off the disc and still hold the disc and vary its angle.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smigles » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 am

My choice, pretty much.

I hold it like that too, except that i leave my index finger on the outside of the rim. Is that bad ?
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby mark12b » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am

Smigles wrote:I hold it like that too, except that i leave my index finger on the outside of the rim. Is that bad ?

if it works for you, it's not bad. :D it can get in the way of a clean release though (popping all the fingers off simultaneously).
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zj1002 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 am

in the long run it is probably better to get the finger on the inside of the rim
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby josser » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

My choice, pretty much.

I've been working on Blake's short-arm put and testing between the above grip and one that has the index finger more on the rim which ends up having a bit more of the pads (instead of sides) of the two middle fingers on the flight plate due to the small twisting of the hand needed to get the index finger more on the rim.

I'm still trying to sort it out.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:50 pm

I putt like this:
Top view

Bottom view

My hands are pretty small and I have troubles holding the classic fan grip that I know most people use so I push my ring finger back further and hold it on top of my pinkie. The middle finger is sort of still in it's fan position and the index finger goes out to the rim. I've tried with my index finger inside the rim, but accuracy went down so I switched back.

I go from my belly button straight out and a little up to in front of my chest. I stand staggered with my right foot behind my lay and my left foot back and to the left. My follow through leaves me pointing my right index finger at the basket (or along the line I was throwing).

I'll putt with a Discraft Soft APX from 0 to 20 feet and an Innova DX Shark from 20 to 32 feet. I live half an hour from Waller Park in Santa Maria (not sure how many people have heard of it... they have a pretty big tourney there every summer) and they have a basket for putting that you can play around the world on. They put bricks in the grass marked with their distance from the basket. For some reason I hit 32 feet with the Shark pretty well, but if I try to throw from 35 feet my percentage goes way, way down.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Return to Technique