Exposing OAT

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Exposing OAT

Postby Codester101 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I was wondering if throwing an extremely floppy disc can help to show if you have OAT/ how bad it is. I have a proto ching velocity that is floppy enough to taco without much force, many of the people that have tried it have it fade out of hand, while a few others have had almost perfectly straight throws. Wondering if this disc is just not responding to the OAT and not flipping up, or if it is something else entirely.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Re: Exposing OAT

Postby Star Shark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:08 pm

For exposing OAT you want FLIPPY not floppy. You want discs that are really touchy and will turn over at the slightest thing.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Codester101 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:20 pm

My thought was that because of how floppy it was, it would act more overstable than it is because as people at the last second roll the wrist (is that one of the causes of OAT?) the disc does not come up as well, but is released at the same hyzer angle it was before. I did know about the flippy discs, but was wondering if this was revealing it as well.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:52 am

A Comet will bring out any single ounce of OAT you have on most throwing styles. Try it, and you'll see what I mean.

For a putter-like rim OAT detector, try a beat Sonic (Yikes! Now that's one flippy ass disc! Flips with 10ft of power!).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I agree. a lightweight elite X comet is what you're looking for.
Flash-Valkyrie-Cheetah-Roc-Buzzz-Comet
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: honky cat

Postby Planeman93 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:40 am

How can you tell if you have OAT when the disc is supposed to roll over with power? I understand how you can detect OAT with something perfectly stable like a Wizard or Aviar, but I don't really see how it could be done with something very understable.
Planeman93
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:09 pm

The Comet isn't very understable, it's very neutral if thrown correctly.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm

jubuttib wrote:The Comet isn't very understable, it's very neutral if thrown correctly.

that's what the pretentious Comet crew would have you think! :P

joking aside I have gotten my Comet to hold a variety of lines. but the one it most often wants to do though is flip over and drift right a ways
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Postby Planeman93 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I understand the comet is stable more like a wizard, when new anyways. But on the other hand you have JHern recommending a beaten putter. How can that expose OAT if its going to roll over anyways?
Planeman93
Noob

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm

comet like a wizard? who ever said that?
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Postby Codester101 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Just a thought, (I never denied that throwing a very slow, stable disc can expose OAT) but just wondered if this could also be showing it.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Planeman93 wrote:I understand the comet is stable more like a wizard, when new anyways. But on the other hand you have JHern recommending a beaten putter. How can that expose OAT if its going to roll over anyways?

EpicLeopard1337 wrote:comet like a wizard? who ever said that?

I recommend the Comet! It is not stable! (At least not any of them ever in my experience.)
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Planeman93 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I still do not understand how an understable disc and expose OAT. If its understable the disc is going to roll anyways with a clean throw with enough power...

I've never thrown a comet so maybe when they are new they are JUST barely stable enough to not be understable? But people are also recommending a X comet, so I feel like once they hit a tree they are going to start turning anyways also.

We are throwing flat here and want a straight flight with fade right?
Planeman93
Noob

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Planeman93 wrote:I've never thrown a comet so maybe when they are new they are JUST barely stable enough to not be understable?

don't count on it... they're only stable if you give them minimal power and all wrist flick.

edit: thinking about it now, a Cheetah would be a really good choice. it requires some degree power and won't just crap right if you give it the slightest amount of power. but still, too much power and torque will make it flip and drift right. like a faster beefy comet that wont roll over like a skank.
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Planeman93 wrote:I still do not understand how an understable disc and expose OAT. If its understable the disc is going to roll anyways with a clean throw with enough power...

Well now you know why people get all big-headed, puffed up, and prideful when they can claim to throw a Comet over 300' (including some on this board). That's quite an accomplishment, requiring spit-shine clean form and release, as well as lots of spin to stabilize the disc against too much high speed turn. For those of us (including me) that don't have that ability, the Comet turns an awful lot with only moderate power. For the divinely clean with good spinny snap, the Comet turns only very slowly at high speed, and they can learn to control it and shape lines much further than us filthy throwers could ever imagine.

Planeman93 wrote:I've never thrown a comet so maybe when they are new they are JUST barely stable enough to not be understable? But people are also recommending a X comet, so I feel like once they hit a tree they are going to start turning anyways also.

We are throwing flat here and want a straight flight with fade right?

Comets are understable. Period. The longer the flight, the more hyzer you need to add. Comets can get real glidey if you get them on the right line.
Japan bag...
JHern

Next

Return to Technique