Exposing OAT

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Exposing OAT

Postby Dr. Burd » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Planeman93 wrote:We are throwing flat here and want a straight flight with fade right?

You should be able to do that too, but with a lot of discs that will actually mean slight hyzer. If you're trying to simply prove that you have OAT problems, sure - try to throw flat with very little power and see what happens.

If you're trying to CORRECT your OAT problems (which I desperately need to do as well), you might be better off trying to throw hyzers that stay hyzer. Just make sure you mix in some straight and turnover shots while you practice so you don't overcompensate and start rolling your wrist under instead of over.
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 pm

The Comet happens to be one of my favorite discs next to the Gazelle and I throw it often. Throwing the Comet won me $100 at a recent tourney for CTP :D I really like (don't want to) to think that I still have some OAT to rid myself of and some of my friends say that I throw the Comet pretty well and consistently to boot. I can throw my Comet over 300', but I don't think that is a great sign that I'm throwing well. I figured an understable putter would be the best thing at telling you whether or not you have OAT.

Any other thoughts on how to expose OAT other than throwing a Comet and an understable putter?
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 pm

I've got one: The D or S-MD1 (at least stiff S-Lines). That disc flies somewhat overstable (can find wind very well indeed, not a really hard hook though) but it's the most sensitive disc I've ever seen when it comes to OAT. There WILL be a huge difference in the flight depending on the amount of OAT. The gummy SG-MD1s seem to cope much better with OAT, so for diagnosis purposes I recommend the stiff S-Lines or D-Lines.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 pm

When I think I'm getting a little OAT-y, I usually break out a worn in DX TeeBird. They're plenty stable to stay nice and straight on a clean throw but they will not fight out of any torque what so ever.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Previous

Return to Technique