Throwing from both sides of your body

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing from both sides of your body

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I was just curious to know what people thought about being able to throw RH and LH. This being opposed to throwing just LH or RH and learning sidearm to get opposite spin.

You think it would take to much time to learn relative to just learning how to throw side arm? I understand that this process will be different for some people as some are already ambidextrous or have mild ambidextrous tendencies.

I heard a rumor that some of the big companies pay the money for their sponsored folks to learn how to throw from the other side of their body. Just looking for some thoughts on the subject.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Throwing from both sides of your body

Postby Leopard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Sean40474 wrote:I heard a rumor that some of the big companies pay the money for their sponsored folks to learn how to throw from the other side of their body.

let's call that rumor suuuuuuuuper silly before it spreads any farther :lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Itchy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah, this seems odd. Plus, I'll never be able to throw left handed... I have a sawed off left pinkie finger that was reattached with the outermost joint fused open. If that's not enough, my left collarbone was broken in the shoulder joint horizontally and it healed into two separate bones so I can't make a disc throwing motion with it.

But as for mild ambidextrously, I play guitar left handed (because of the pinkie not allowing my to hold proper chords) even though I'm right handed.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby J-Bolt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:51 am

I recently broke my right hand(dominant) and couldn't stand not playing DG, so I started throwing southpaw. I was amazed how quickly(2 weeks) I could get my drives w/ understable mids to ~250'. I can now throw ~275' consistently and somewhat accurately. It's been 6 weeks now and my right hand is usable again. I played my first round Wednesday, and on holes I would normally throw forehand off the tee, I threw lefty. Accuracy was there, but my drives were ~50' - 60' short of where my RHFH drives usually land.

I think the most beneficial part of being forced to throw left handed was gaining the ability to putt and approach. I play heavily wooded courses for the most part and it's nice not having to contort around trees anymore.

btw - Could never learn to throw LHFH. Attempts were a joke, and sometimes painful. Way harder than I ever imagined.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 am

Leopard wrote:
Sean40474 wrote:I heard a rumor that some of the big companies pay the money for their sponsored folks to learn how to throw from the other side of their body.

let's call that rumor suuuuuuuuper silly before it spreads any farther :lol:

Yeah, that is what I thought when I first heard it. I can think of a few logical reasons as to why they don't/wouldn't.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 am

I would love to learn how to throw LHBH and have good accuracy at 300'...I know that would just leave me wanting more once I reached that point. I think that being able to throw LHBH, RHBH, and RHFH would definitely be a deadly combo.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby ManU » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:31 am

if you have a decent forehand why would you want to throw back hand with the opposite arm?
when would you use it?

other than as j-bolt states that if you can putt with both hands reasonably that would be a benefit depending on your lie and obstacles

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby JHern » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am

I've played with ambis before, and definitely nice advantage.

Injury is another reason to learn your other arm. Jim Oates had surgery on his right arm, and if he wanted to continue playing had to learn to throw with his left arm. IIRC, it took a few months before he got back under par on his home course, but then started to improve rapidly.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Pwingles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:45 pm

i am rh dominate but my forehand is primarily for approach shots, if there is a hole some would sidearm i would generally throw LHBH, its taken some time to get consistent and im still far away from being very good at it, but my D is roughly 3/4 my RHBH
and it has helped me countless times in a tourney, although i dont recommend learning it "instead" of RHFH or instead of learning how to throw an anny, i believe you can never have too many tools at your disposal, just have to be able to distinguish the appropriate time to use them
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:56 am

I dont think I'll ever "make big money" doing it but I throw with both hands. I use the LHBH the most and my putt is right handed. I'm naturally right handed and it just feels correct to stand with my left foot forward. Just about every other sport a right handed person stands left foot forward, I never understood why so many people go right foot forward for disc golf. I've played a lot of baseball and it feels like I'm hitting left handed. I can generally look at a shot and find an option no matter what it is....it's helped me out of a lot of tough situations. I understand what people are saying about having a good forehand....then you don't need the other arm, I'd probably do that if I could but I just feel way too goofy trying to throw lefty flicks.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 am

So because of this thread I am now throwing lhbh and it isn't nearly as awkward as I thought it would be...and I'm more consistent with it than my rhfh which is awful I can get my valks out about 200' lefty tomorrow will be my first time out on the course doing it
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:18 pm

When I have some more time this weekend, I'm going to just start with an understable putter and see where it takes me. I still work on my sidearm, but sometimes I just wish I could throw LH 1/2 as good as I throw RH.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:I dont think I'll ever "make big money" doing it but I throw with both hands. I use the LHBH the most and my putt is right handed. I'm naturally right handed and it just feels correct to stand with my left foot forward. Just about every other sport a right handed person stands left foot forward, I never understood why so many people go right foot forward for disc golf. I've played a lot of baseball and it feels like I'm hitting left handed. I can generally look at a shot and find an option no matter what it is....it's helped me out of a lot of tough situations. I understand what people are saying about having a good forehand....then you don't need the other arm, I'd probably do that if I could but I just feel way too goofy trying to throw lefty flicks.

Tried a little left foot forward putting over the weekend, actually putted better that way (isn't saying much).
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Return to Technique