The actual S-curve

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The actual S-curve

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 am

We all know the normal backhand so called S curve, release it Anny and it glides right, then stabilises and falls left before landing. It is actualy a inverted S curve.

I was wondering if there is a disc that does the S. I dont mean just taking the same disc and throwing it forehand. I also dont mean a flippy disc that stabilises and falls right, because that is not a S, it is a straight line with a drop right at the end. I am looking for a disc that realy does the S-Curve. starts with a hyzer, goes right to left, then stabilises and goes left to right.

1 : I dont think these discs exist, i just wanted to know if any of you ever came across something like this.
2 : Could it possibly work if you take a realy understable disc and throw it inside-out-airbounce ?
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Re: The actual S-curve

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am

yes, definitely, you can even get 3 curves out of one throw. Take something that is extreamely beat, throw it on a hyzer, watch it follow the hyzer and then flip up and fade right. You may need just a touch of nose up but you can definitely get the disc to travel right to left before flipping up and flipping. I have a thrashed D wasp I can preform this shot with. People are usually really surprised and ask "where did that anny come from at the end? I thought it was hyzering!"
To make 3 curves throw the same shot but higher, so the disc has time to fade back left at the end.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 am

DX discs are easier to achieve this flight with. Especially in older slower models that you can overpower.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am

I think i have to practice that ^^ I have a realy beat up valkyrie, but the problem is that it goes straight right away, no matter how hyzer i throw it. Maybe it is too beat up, or maybe i just do it wrong.

There is a woody and narrow hole at my local course where i would need this throw. 20 feet wide farway that goes straight for the first 100 feet, then turns left for 75 feet and then goes right again ^^ Nasty hole.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Add some noseup to the hyzer to get a sort of "hyzer-bounce" out of the disc.

I've managed this with DX Sidewinders and Leopards. Looks so good in the air. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 pm

its got to be all smooth form too, any torque on the disc will cause it to flip up early. try it with a thrashed putter, it would probably be easier than a driver. For that matter try it with an ultra star. I don't think you will get 3 turns out of it, but the first two are easy.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:48 pm

You can't have OAT and maybe it would be easier to throw at less than full pwoer say 90 %. I'm not aware of many putters that would flip over and fight to come back unless thrown very high say 8+m easily 15 m can still have a putter landing anny.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:21 am

I used to get huge S-curves like the ones you describe out of a well-beaten Pro Destroyer. 45 degrees hyzer left, and it still would gradually turn until it was going back right, and then toward the end of the flight, fade back left. I think the lower part of the letter S (actually Z if you go bottom to top) is very fat in this case, and the upper part of the letter is very small.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Blake_T » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 pm

you can actually achieve a 4-direction (3-curve) flight with OAT because there's more forms of OAT than most people are aware of.

it would take a combination of different types of OAT, but when i am trying to throw that shot, i definitely apply at least 2 types of OAT and sometimes more depending upon how i want it to finish.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique