38%
a pop
50%
a firm slap to a face/CRACK
13%

Total votes : 16

Towel Drill Directions+Audio (Poll)

Postby x-out » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 am

This is directed to those of you that are popping the towel.

When you feel you've succeeded and achieve snap, what is your end result?
Last edited by x-out on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Re: Towel Drill (Poll)

Postby x-out » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:42 pm

either i'm a thread killer or not that many people are doing the towel drill
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 pm

No, just not that many people are getting the pop out of it.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby x-out » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:40 am

i guess i can see that being a problem. for the longest time i could not get past the woosh.

i imagine there are a lot of people trying the drill a few times and giving up on it.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 pm

I dunno if I get a pop. It's closer to a *!@POW@!*. Sorry, feeling the 70's Batman thing. But it's not as crisp as that CRACK you get from snapping a towel the traditional way.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby x-out » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:04 am

from my experience with the drill, it is possible to get a more pronounced CRACK than you can from snapping it the traditional way. i was skeptical at first, but after feeling and hearing myself produce that noise...i am now a believer.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Dave Feldberg produced a BAM! sound instead of a swhoosh I usually get. Or a very shy flap with the better attempts. But that's before my recent changing of the wrist action and arm muscle loosening until later in the throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby x-out » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:45 pm

it seems that the louder CRACK (as referred to in this thread) is achieved through the correct timing of: 1)clearing the elbow away from the body 2)truly activating the wrist 3)activating the wrist at the apex of clearing the elbow from the body

it seems that if you concentrate on these 3 steps before adding in the other parts of the throw (which is where most have bad habits/form) you can obtain a good feel of correct timing.

the other instructors have said it better than i ever could. so think of the numbered steps as the following:

1) backwards from the hit (Masterbeato Video)
1) great picture from BW's diagram

2) pounding the hammer (Part 3, Drill 5)
2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

3) ??? (working on a more efficient way to demonstrate this)
3) for now use the image from above to visualize when you should be activating the wrist
Last edited by x-out on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:08 pm

if you can get the feeling of steps 1-3 in the above post you can obtain a nice pop of the towel.

you can obtain this pop at less than 100% effort. i can loosely do the drill at a very slow pace and get a small pop.

really concentrate on the feel of everything rather than "this is how I think I throw a disc".

once you feel you've mastered the proper timing to get this pop, you can incorporate a full swing @ 100% and try to achieve the loud CRACK.
when i get the CRACK here is what i feel: the start of the swing- everything before steps 1-3 is loose and slow (aka the inward pull), step 1- the beginning of acceleration (aka accel. @ right pec.) (begin accel @ right pec and continue this acceleration through and past activating the wrist), steps 2&3 are very very close in timing and almost blend into one step- (this is where the weight of the towel becomes very apparent) (you can even feel pivot here).

hopefully this helps some people gain a feel for the drill. sometimes you just need to hear the same directions in a different way for it to click.

happy towel snapping to everyone who decides to try this. FYI your towels will suffer as a result of popping/CRACKING them
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:28 pm

here is the carnage and destruction of my 12x12" microfiber towel :).
before starting theses drills this towel had no loose seams or any damage. the pictures have been taken after 3 days of CRACKING and popping.

x-out
Tree Magnet

Re: Towel Drill Directions (Poll)

Postby cfair » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:54 pm

I just started doing this and will be doing it in conjunction with the hammer drills blake came up. I'm sure they coincide well enough so I figure no harm. Anyway I have a woosh so I have a long way to go but a weird thing happened. I had a little tiny weeny pop and my blinds on my window spread apart and shook. I was like "Wow" and checked my window thinking it might have been open. Nope it was the jet of air from the towel. I couldn't for the life of me recreate it... anyone else have anything other than sound telling you your going in the right direction?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 pm

cfair wrote:I just started doing this and will be doing it in conjunction with the hammer drills blake came up. I'm sure they coincide well enough so I figure no harm. Anyway I have a woosh so I have a long way to go but a weird thing happened. I had a little tiny weeny pop and my blinds on my window spread apart and shook. I was like "Wow" and checked my window thinking it might have been open. Nope it was the jet of air from the towel. I couldn't for the life of me recreate it... anyone else have anything other than sound telling you your going in the right direction?

the best feedback is the audio (pop/CRACK), but you can or should feel the weight of the towel transfer/pivot in your hand.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am

x-out wrote:2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try using isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

I think I am one of "those people". Thanks for bringing this up. Hopefully I can make it out soon, try it, and feel a difference. I know sitting at my desk here at work I can tell a difference. I can't wait to see what it does in the field.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am

bcsst26 wrote:
x-out wrote:2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try using isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

I think I am one of "those people". Thanks for bringing this up. Hopefully I can make it out soon, try it, and feel a difference. I know sitting at my desk here at work I can tell a difference. I can't wait to see what it does in the field.

you are welcome. please post back with your results.

this is the very reason i wrote this post. i'm just adding a little twist and some different wording to what has already been said before. i hope you are just one of many who can benefit from this.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:28 am

added a small clip of the CRACK. sorry the audio is not better

x-out
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique