Older player with knee replacements

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Older player with knee replacements

Postby Turbine712 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I just started playing DG after many yrs. of just doing regular golf. Over the course of growing older I have had my share of injuries and operations (15 orthopedic procedures). I have always been active and played sports all my life. I have cycled, racquetball, mini tri's and ball golf. Now within the last 3 yrs. I have had to have both knees replaced. I really like playing DG and have been to 3 courses to play. Last weekend was 18 holes at Acorn Park in Roseville, MN. I have found that doing an X-step or some kind of modified approach is basically out of the question. I can do a slight 1/2 step but thats about all.
If I stand at the tee, I can comfortably drive around 200-250 feet this way.
I was wondering if there are any suggestions for an older guy (58) who is still pretty active and who wants to play better DG and increase my drives.
I know that this is basically a younger game but the DG bug has bitten me big time. I played las weekend with my nephew who is going to the U of M and after we finished he complained how sore his legs felt LOL and he played baseball last yr at his HS and they placed 2nd in the state. All I could do was chuckle at him when he said that.
Any help for an old geezer who just loves to throw discs?
I have been using fairly light discs. 150-170g
My Discs:
ESP Buzz
DX Leopard
Classic Roc
Aviar P&A
Coyote
Orc

Thanks,
Turbine712
Turbine712
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cyclone

Re: Older player with knee replacements

Postby MrScoopa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:26 pm

I play regularly with someone that has had multiple knee replacements like yourself. He's been playing for around 30 years. His technique does not include a x-step. Less than 300' he throws from a standstill. Over that and he throws with a two-step like you'd see in masterbeato's right pec video. He averages around 350' or so with a beat pro Destroyer. He throws mostly hyzer flips.

What makes him killer is he has accurate up shots and putts.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:29 pm

One suggestion – bend your knees and pivot on the ball of your foot, or perhaps on your heel. A flat-footed pivot puts a great deal of strain on your knee and hip. I also find it useful to wear tennis shoes, which pivot easily compared with knobby hiking boots or trail runners.

Getting old bites, but as they say it beats the alternative. As MrScoopa says, work on your putting, approach shots, and driving accuracy, play wooded courses, and annoy the crap out of snot-nosed punks by beating them despite the fact that that they out-drive you by 100’ Good luck!

Standard disclaimer: this is not medical advice, consult your doctor, yadda yadda.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Welcome there are a couple of older players here so maybe you'll hear advice from your peers. You could ask on the PDGA forums as well if you are a member. Like the PDGA wants to advertize DG is a lifetime sport and over 80 year old players compete at the worlds.

Always do the pivot and never stay flat footed on the ground or you are going to twist something. Disc wise you need something in between the Orc and the Leopard because the Orc should fade too hard for you. The usual suspects are Valkyrie, Assassin, Beast(being faster it's longer with still a mild fade) and Roadrunner. For maximum distance rolling a dice type of consistency you may want to try light R-Pro Bosses. Lots of older players equalize distance with those. How light depends on the cleanness of your form and the tightness of the holes and the level of repeatability you desire. Out of the top women at least Carrie Berlogar used one to pretty nasty looking condition in 2009. I don't know if she still uses them. Jim Oates has an incredible arm and throws far with raising the right leg up and planting it down and whipping the disc farther than most young guys. You can see him in several PDGA Worlds DVDs. He might be a good one to emulate or at least try to copy to see if your knees can handle that style.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby krik72 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Really work on developing snap, it should generate enough power for you to throw at least 380' eventually even with just a single or double step.
| Wizard - Ion | Buzzz - Fuse | XXX - TeeBird | S-PD - Destroyer |

Help my drive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelP-tx6bQo
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19836
krik72
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S-PD

Postby cruz duck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:47 am

Welcome Turbine712! I am in my mid-50's and picked up disc golf about 3 years ago. At our age, it certainly takes me longer to master a new sport than it did 30 years ago. Which can be frustrating at times, but I am still having a blast learning to throw the discs.

One suggestion - find a local league or some type of local event. You can learn a lot by playing with better players and the competitions can be a lot of fun. For my first 2 years, I avoided these events. Most of the local players are under 40 and there are a lot of great local players. This year, I started playing and I have found that attitude is far more important than ability. In the local weekly that I have been playing in, one of the most popular players is a guy in his 60's, who might be able to throw a disc 200 feet. But his attitude is great and everyone wants to play with him. They know that they will have a great time. The competition we play in is not a team event, but I would gladly play doubles with him. We would not do very well, but we would be laughing the whole round. Don't get me wrong, everyone is trying to play well and win the event, but if you have a good attitude, you will be welcome in almost any local competition, regardless of your age or your ability.

This has nothing to do with age, but the fastest way to learn is to go to a field and practice a particular skill. A good starting point are the two threads on the Techniques page - "The "Incomplete" Secret Technique" and "Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)."

You might also consider taking a lesson from Dan Beto (posts on this board as masterbeato). He lives somewhere in the Twin Cities area. I am sure that he could help you no matter what your level is.

Most of all, keep having fun.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: kc roc

Postby Turbine712 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks all for posting on my circumstances.
Kirck your exactly on the same wave of thought as I. I have broken things down and believe that in order for the distance to improve I need to really look at adding more SNAP. I have been looking at Bradley Walkers videos and I need to thank him for explaining SNAP.

Cruz Duck: I laughed at your response about learning a new skill takes longer for us duffers. And it's true. I have always been involved with sports and it does seem the older I get the longer it takes to figure a new sport out. And I am also like you and LOVE IT!!!

I plan on joining a league come this spring since Fall is here and Winter is fast approaching up here in the North country.
I do know one thing I have found, and that is that with new sports come meeting new people. I have met the nicest younger people out on the courses which is really refreshing to see.

As far a leagues here in Minnesota Western Wisconsin. I know that there are leagues over at the MN frisbee organization. Does anyone from up here know of any other groups??? Especially a group that plays in St. Paul or on the Eastern part of MN.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I will be taking my 3 Grandsons out to play some DG down in River Falls, WI. There is a nice small 9 holer near the college campus.
Hopefully there will be some people out and always nice to see the women out in this brisk weather LOL Just Kidding :mrgreen:
Turbine712
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:28 am

With any luck Blake_T the founder if this site and a teacher of many might be able to help you. Maybe you should visit gottagogottathrow and talk with Blake face to face. You're lucky to live so near to him.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Turbine712 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 am

JR, I will be going there this week and maybe Blake will be there. I know that there is a big event going on the coming weekend so he may be busy with that but I'm sure there will be someone there that can help. The only shop I have been to is Fairway Flyerz in Roseville. the people there are great and have go some help there. I am hoping to figure something out but with winter coming on I just might set up a throwing area in my garage and practice. I know that I will be doing some playing in the Winter since I love the cold weather and being outside.
Turbine712
Noob

Postby JHern » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:55 pm

I played with a guy last week who has only one leg, but he can throw as far as I can. That's pretty inspiring stuff!

I've heard many experienced players say that a run up is only important for feel and timing, and that it doesn't really add a lot of power. I think this is mostly true. Probably the most important thing is to pivot on your plant foot (going on your heel might be easiest), and get at least a little push from your back foot (ala masterbeato's video). The timing is still crucial...don't start the pull through until your plant foot is planted, and then push off with your back foot and start pivoting right as the disc is coming out of your chest and going into the hit. That will ensure you're generating the minimum necessary power from your legs.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique