Get a grip -successful grip experimentations

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Get a grip -successful grip experimentations

Postby JR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Wahoo! For the first time i was able to use the Climo grip of sorts without pain to my arm. I'm so gonna attack driving with all types of discs with this. To get clean rips i had to place the pinky to under the rim or on the lower part of the rim on my Star Dart. I also needed to put my middle finger on top of the outermost joint of the ring finger because my fingers are so short. Disc pivot is easy and fairly frictionless. I got nice uninterrupted rips and wrist rolls over from playing straight after work. I'll have to see what Rocs and Buzzzes do especially but really i should rest and that's not possible because today has the best weather before the spring.

Naturally i used the trigger pull with the index finger.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm

This was the second day in a row trying out the Climo grip and my arm is none the worse for it so it looks promising. I tamed the Ion and got Rocs and worn Buzzzes and Stalkers to behave more predictably between a great and a mediocre throw. Previously those power differences had resulted in flips when i didn't need them or hyzers waiting for the disc to flip to flat. I'm not 100% successful but that's the same for other grips. Overall putters and mids fly better now.

I also returned to widening the arc of the disc pivot by moving the disc more toward my finger tips with the Bratten grip variation. And managed to loosen up my grip in the process and using the bh to fh to bh and repeat drill to find out just how loosely i could grip and not have an early slip i got great results. It's cold here and i got a golf s-curve meaning just a few feet of lateral motion with Champ 171 Leopard to 370'. Stalker Z 17err 6? to 365'. Nuke Z 173 to 421' on s-curves with skips and a few feet less on a low line drive to fade to skips. I got more nose down with getting the outermost joint of the index finger to the rim/wing corner while moving the middle finger so loosely touching the disc and aligned for nose down that it wasn't in the way. The rear of the disc varied from just below the innermost joint of the thumb to just over that joint. That made a difference in the average speed and the discs tend to rise higher. When i counter that by weight shift far forward the discs keep visibly higher speeds than usual and probably fade at fairly same percentage of overall distance. That just occurs slightly farther out in the flight. And about as far left. The skips are probably to blame. Maybe the lower dropping speed increasing the time the disc is fading to the left is to blame.

I was surprised how little power i needed in the grip. The pinching effort or the strain on the fingers felt less than usual. I wasn't really happy with the timing or the power of my pinch because maintaining proper attitude of the disc is very difficult with such a loose grip. There is work to be done because i think my pinch started too late and if that makes the disc pivot faster it should alter the flight and add D even more. Too bad the weather is going to be bad until spring.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:03 pm

I've been having some success with something like the "trigger" lately. I used to use the Climo for grip for everything but it just doesn't have the lock strength for max distance. Enter my variation of the "trigger" grip; I begin with the same old Climo fork grip but right before the rip I allow my middle finger to slide into the rim and add strength to the lock. This has been giving me a lot more snap on hard throws but I still use the regular Climo grip with accuracy is more important than distance.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby JR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 am

Cool! What kind of differences in flight lines have you observed at which distance with which discs? Less flipping and less fading? Any negatives? Like sticking to fingers?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique