FH Driving Wizards

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FH Driving Wizards

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:22 pm

I need to get better at this skill, I'd love to be 1/2 as good FH as I'm BH. Approaches would be so much easier sometimes, I like FH in that you don't have to turn away from the target to throw.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Whiz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:38 pm

I have been working on driving 300' forehand (consistently) with my wizards. Today I had a realization. Try this exercise and see if it has any effect on your FH.

So hold the disc in your normal forehand grip and bend your wrist back toward your forearm/elbow. Now bring your wrist forward as if throwing a forehand shot with a stationary arm. Let the disc pivot and hit your palm (This is basically what Blake advocates in his hammer drill). Now, do this motion a few times until you can get the feel of the disc pivoting around your lock finger, without letting it go, and hitting your palm. Next, try to do a low power throw visualizing the disc pivoting so that it HITS your elbow (on the inside, closest to your elbow). The momentum of the disc, once you get a feel for the motion, should eject it without it actually hitting your elbow. Use this feel to try throwing a few relaxed forehand shots, imagining that the disc pivots so much so that it would hit your elbow if it could. Give it a try and see if this helps.

-Paul
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby dejavu22 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Had a bad day today. Had my orange first run 150z flick get on end in a 30ish head wind and carried it into the lake today. Never realized how rare that disc was until i looked to replace it. On a positive note though I liked the boss and tried someone else's wraith today. The wraith is going to take a lot of practice to get used to, i cant pass judgement fully because of how gusty it was, but i got ahold of one and put it about 500 (guessing at distance because i put it over a cricket field end to end) forehand into a head wind and it just kept bouncing... amazing my jaw was down for several minutes.
dejavu22
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 flick

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 pm

dejavu22 wrote:Had a bad day today. Had my orange first run 150z flick get on end in a 30ish head wind and carried it into the lake today. Never realized how rare that disc was until i looked to replace it. On a positive note though I liked the boss and tried someone else's wraith today. The wraith is going to take a lot of practice to get used to, i cant pass judgement fully because of how gusty it was, but i got ahold of one and put it about 500 (guessing at distance because i put it over a cricket field end to end) forehand into a head wind and it just kept bouncing... amazing my jaw was down for several minutes.

When I first read your post I thought you flicked a Wiz 500 feet. That is ridiculous that you can flick 500' with any disc though.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby dejavu22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:07 pm

As i said i was guessing at the distance but yea i have never thrown a disc anywhere near that far and it was end to end over a cricket field. I started it about 60 degrees off horizontal. It rolled over to about 30 degrees past horizontal and by time i was back to horizontal it was probably 400 feet out and 100 feet off the ground. Then it just carried forever. But at the moment i wont take it out on a round because in the field i put several a mile left and more a mile right. It was one of 3 of like 25 that actually turned the S and the other 2 were around 400. It was only that one that... sailed. But when i went disc shopping on Sunday i got my own wraith now and a nuke. The nuke is an instant game changer, when i throw it hard i get ~ 350 and a soft right to left the whole flight (maybe the last 5 feet to the right). The wraith is just a field amusement atm.
dejavu22
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 flick

Previous

Return to Technique