Postby seabas22 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:48 am

Can someone translate this vid to english:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnJW7JzxwuA&NR=1
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Re: Sandstrom Translation

Postby JR » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:29 am

It would be better for a Swede to translate this and there are some on this board. I don't know all the words Christian used. The DVD should come out sometime so if it has an English translation it would be best to purchase it.

The most interesting parts for me were the recommendations to use a slightly wider plant step and equal length follow through step with 90 degrees turn from right pec (my interpretation) to rip then another 90 degrees in the follow through. The idea behind step distance and turning amount equality is to keep your balance for control and repeatability as my interpretation. Another point he stressed was to really ram the plant step to the ground keeping both knees a little bent. He views the hard plant as similar to those of javelin throwers. From personal experience i can say that if you keep the right leg tight and don't allow a lot of collapsing of the knee from the initially slightly bent angle you pivot effectively and can get at least a part of the effective movement shift along the kinetic chain from the legs to the hip explosion like you would with Markus Källström type of stopping the right leg in place. Like a javelin thrower would do. Tomas Ekström has been related to suffer from hip aches from doing that. I've sen him throw with a very DGR standard advice type of form only.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm

So the plant is actually quite similar to a lefty baseball batting stance or lefty pitcher for RHBH, and the main difference is the foot lands 90 degrees away from target and pivots?
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:37 pm

That 90 degree thing relates to moving the torso from 90 degrees to the right of the target at the right pec position to face the target and having the disc rip out of you hand. Then another 90 degrees of rotation in the follow through. Ending up chest facing 90 degrees right of the target.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Banjar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:00 am

I watched it this morning, but I don't have access to the video at the moment so I cannot remember everything he said. What I personally think is very informative is the 180 degree pivot. what he says (as far as I recall), If you turn 180 degrees (and stop there naturally), you have the right balance; too little = you are not using all the power available. Too much = off balance and you are 'doing other things' that could be affecting your throw.

I'll try giving it a closer listening soon, and maybe look into the whole CC options on youtube.

EDIT: Ok, I don't know how to do subtitles - so I will do a coarse translation here:

Youtube time:
00:00- 00:30:
"Run-up is based on 3 simple basic steps: There are some physiological fundamentals we need to know and be aware of during the run-up; control, balance and coordination. I'll show some details that are worth keeping in mind when it comes to the run-up:"
00:30-00:45
"The most important thing is to not be stressed during run-up, in the beginning it is better to throw without a run-up than to proceed at too high a pace."
00:45-01:10
"during a run-up this is how it supposed to be: if you are right handed, your right foot will be finishing the movement and be the last step in the run-up" *demonstrates X-step*
01:10-01:35
"as you could see, the rotation occurs during my second step. Exactly where you put the second step does not *really* matter, but you need control. So you cannot put the foot too far back, because it will leave you out of balance - bend knees slightly" *does Xstep again* "right - left - finish"
01:35-2:10
"as i said before (ed: not during the video segment, though) it is very important not to have the final step too wide, because you will loose a lot of power. The idea is taken from spearthrowers, who focus on a powerful last step with your foot landing hard, which in turn will give a reaction force that travels into the hip and can be further developed into the arm. That is the basic idea."
2:10-2:30
"You can practice this separately standing still, and try to find the right feeling, the power in the hip. If you are doing it right, your midsection will get very sore due to muscle aches." (as in 'good' pain after exercising)
2:30-2:45
"In the beginning, in order to keep it simple, just practice the run-up by walking through it; one, two, three."
2:45-2:55
"here you can see my feet are just slightly wider than my shoulders. Not too wide, so you cannot gain maximum power, and not too narrow so you loose balance"
2:55-3:25
"Something important to keep in mind about the follow through; after you have thrown, you will automatically rotate around and land in this position. In order words, you are following through just as long as you where before your throw, like this:"
3:25-3:40
*spins* "Here you have control, the left side pointing straight forward, which before was pointing backwards"
3:40-end
"If you end up going to far - or too short - it means that somewhere along the motion, you have lost stability and or balance in this exercise, and the body will somehow try to compensate for it, either by releasing early or activating other muscles that have not been trained as well. (ed: there in something inaudible for me here, i think he is saying "...muscles not trained as well as you would in a normal muscle exercise" - but it doesn't make much sense, so I might very well be wrong). it increases the risk of injury and also lowers the overall power potential."

I hope this might help?
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Return to Technique