Reachback

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Reachback

Postby gretagun » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:47 pm

With the help of Blake's Secret Technique, and re-watching BW's video, I have decided to revisit the right pec drill again, and have had great results. I finally feel like I know what I'm striving now, but everything falls apart when I decide to incorporate any kind of reach back beyond the right pec drill. I'm guessing timing is what I'm struggling with. Sometimes I feel I get better results if I consciously bend my right elbow and bring the disc close to my chest, but that seems to be rather jerky and not very smooth. Besides, I thought the arm needed to be relaxed and whipped through by my body. I've tried this approach as well, but I get very little elbow bend, and the disc barely gets close to my left pec. More simply put, I'm struggling from getting from the reach back to the right pec, . Is this a more conscious action or is it something that falls in place if I have a proper order of rotation going on, like feet, hips, torso, shoulders, arm? Are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this, or what order of timing this happens?
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Re: Reachback

Postby Redisculous » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:41 am

It's like Blake says, use the arm as a guide. Use the smallest amount of effort you can to keep the disc close and get into position and still keep your arm loose and relaxed.

In the maxing out at 300 thread they talk about how the upper body rotation should be incidental. For me this was the key to get the pause that allows you the time to get the disc across your chest to happen.

Keep in mind that it's two ninety degree rotations in between which the disc goes across your chest.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Redisculous » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 am

Also make sure when you reach back you can really feel the stretch the muscles behind your shoulder/beneath your shoulder blade. Elasticy. Slinging the elbow forward to me feels similar to slinging the wrist forward. It's all plyometric loading.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby gretagun » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks for the reply. We had some great weekend weather, and I was able to get out in the field on Saturday and played a tourney yesterday. I seemed to notice two things. The first was that I'm still strong arming, and the second is that my elbow doesn't get out front. I hit the field briefly when I got home last night, and worked on slinging the elbow forward, and saw some improvement. The only thing is that I feel like this is still an active motion with my arm. Is this what you mean using the arm as a guide? I don't feel like my shoulders are doing anything until the elbow is forward and I swing my forearm open.

It's wierd that you mentioned the stretch of those muscles because the area underneath my shoulder blade was stiff and sore when I woke up yesterday, and I have never felt that as a result of throwing. I'll also have to revisit the 300 thread again.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Return to Technique