Questions

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Questions

Postby superdrive » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:26 am

I had some D before this (PDs ~380, faster stuff +400). I was holding back a little and started to think about my grip (so weak) and figured out what I did wrong.

See Juho Rantalaiho at 0.25: http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/X0hpMGhVp1c

This is what my grip looks like now. I let my wrist curl a little from the added pressure from pinky and ring finger. Middle and index finger will compensate automatically: stronger grip and much better feel.

Now, the rip feels little violent (not dangerous of course, but I have to pull back really hard) and I've read somewhere Finnish big arm telling how he can't drive more than ~5 (or so) times in row with full power. This is how I feel as well :confusedface:. Should it feel like this? Also, everything flies faster and more stable. I could not flip PD up. It just hyzered all the way out to 350 on very low line. Is this correct or am I rolling under? Something else? Will be testing more when I have more time.

FH. My form is effortless (little reach back and high spin ratio vs speed) and I max beat PDs right at 350 (hyzer flipped, frozen rope.I get little more D with bigger lines, but lose accuracy). I can't throw faster stuff because they are too fast for me. Now, to get that extra 30-40ft I would need to grip harder and create more arm speed (bigger reach back and more hips/shoulder turn) and I don't know if it's worth it. Accuracy is so crazy with this form and I'm scared of losing it, if I start to work with thing said earlier. What do you think? Worth it or not?

Approaching. I see many advanced players snapping the hell out of a disc on distances were you could take your index finger off and lighten up fan grip (small reach back, facing the target and it still snaps off). They seem to miss many easy shots because of this and I don't get it. Also, many of them are using very stable plastic. Is there something that I don't see? Do they wanna snap it like MF all the time? Seems really crazy to me.
superdrive
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Questions

Postby JR » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 am

I can't tell how Juho grips from that vid under the disc. I too get the thumb farther in toward the center of the disc from thumb neutral position. That's because my dry slick skin and weak thumb slides off too easily. Being able to push the flight plate down creates a temporary intendation on the flight plate from which the thumb slides off later. The thumb also has more leverage this way and read the drill with shooting coins with the thumb that Blake_T wrote. For those who don't know Juho he threw 209 meters at Big D9 on round 2. I think that's the new Finnish record. He's rated 1005 now and placed 34th at the USDGC 2010.

I'm at where you are distance wise or at elast until i can add more hips to the throw which may be soon :-D So far i haven't used my hips after breaking my back until today and with slow steps i was able to make some throws. But i'll really know tomorrow how well my back was able to handle it. I too get max 350' with PDs on low lines if i hyzer them and 380' on flat releases. It depends on the PD whether it needs initial hyzer or not to fly flat. I don't have problems with my fingers any more even throwing at full power. Although i'm not able to pivot the disc as hard with drivers as i do with Rocs and Buzzzes. At least yet. Things are gonna change along with hip usage addition. Getting to where my fingers can handle the full power throws took two years so give it time you'll get there. Field practice is your friend and you need to grow a tougher skin definitely. That's automatic with the repetitions of field practice.

It is natural that at lower power you are often more accurate so don't worry about it. That is the reason why i have different bh forms depending on the decision to go for broke with D or throwing shorter with added accuracy and repeatability. I would keep the current form and work on a new form for D which means more reach back and a steeper initial hyzer angle.

I would approach with enough stability to handle the winds and finishing straight or fading depending on the fairway shape. No need to compensate form or grit the teeth on shorter throws. You absolutely can snap hellaciously hard with loose muscles which can't happen with gritted teeth clenching the disc. The late acceleration and heavy weight of the disc can be used as an aiming mechanism on top of other aiming methods and be quite accurate. It is just gonna tire the player out sooner but it also limits how far you can overthow if you use shorter discs as a result of snapping harder. Snap increase actually reduces the need for overstability of a disc on straight shots. I don't know how much moving the index finger onto the leading edge of the disc shortens the throw because i've thrown close to my usual D with it pinching harder with the middle finger. Snapping while putting can be learned to increase accuracy as long as the throwing arm isn't too tired to maintain good form. So snapping can be a good thing. It's a training issue.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby turso » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:20 am

JR wrote:<wall of text>

You've broken your back at some point? :|
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 am

Spinal trouble lasting for the rest of the life unless new kinds of treatments get found in my lifetime.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby superdrive » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:55 am

The PD I wasn't able to flip flat was seasoned P. I might not have hyper spin, but it surely feels like it. In theory breaking 400ft with PDs should happen soon :D Too many questions still I have. Some field time needed is.

Let the race begin!
superdrive
Tree Magnet

Postby superdrive » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 am

More nonsense:

I'm forcing it a little. Gripping tight too soon and that's why I lose arm speed and it feels violent. It will probably take a while until everything clicks.

I think that guys with big FH D are ripping it off instead of pushing it. When you rip you can come in with huge speed and the disc will leave fast, but with less spin because your fingers/wrist aren't fast enough to push it all the way IMO. When you push with your fingers all you get is the speed you can create with finger push. So, finger push is more accurate and you're able to throw clean and with full power IMO and rip will give you more D, but you lose finesse IMO all of it.

So, what I'm saying: ripping is actually slipping. Disc leaves soon compared to push. Missing the late snap/pivot similar to BH.
superdrive
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique