Reach back

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Reach back

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 am

So yesterday during my 4th round I finally realized that I was not reaching back on my drives and kept releasing them either hyzer and annhyzer...well I tried it on a few drives and was able to release flat with such ease and I generated enough spin to finally flip a predator and drive it 350 feet for the first time... and now my valks are probably going to be to flippy. Should I start releasing them w/ more hyzer or should I move up to something more stable like a force? Any advice maybe a lat 64 disc I could try.

Hiking is just walking where its ok to pee
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Reach back

Postby JR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:28 am

I think it is more likely that a Pred wouldn't flip at that distance at least without winds. OAT is likely but if your disc is trashed perhaps then it was a clean throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 am

So are you saying it may not have been a clean release?

vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:09 am

I just read that the new run of Z Preds are less HSS than the ones we're accustomed to so that is an alternative realistic explanation. Old fresh Z Preds won't flip on clean throws to 350'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Well it was a fairly older esp pred...but in like newish condition def not beat enough to flip...and a bit of a head wind

vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Thread title did not deliver.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:13 pm

what does that mean?
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Postby vtbuzzz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 am

So no suggestions?
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Postby turso » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm

You had OAT if you made it flip with that distance. And no, you don't need forces.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 am

Unless it was a freak swirl or gust in the wind the above comment would seem to be right.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:04 am

I really need to get some video up here...do those new little hd video cameras work well at all? anyone have any experience with those?
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Postby turso » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:06 am

If you want something for analyzing your technique, you want to go hispeed cam way. Check the Casio's highspeed Exilim line out. They can take OK stills and do HD video as well as high framerate video for those all important slowmo bits.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 am

The lower end models are smaller and cheaper.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby masterbeato » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:16 pm

the esp preds get squirrely especially when they are a bit older and worn.

reaching back farther does not actually create more D unless you have big snap (430'+ power) already, and reaching back farther can create more OAT potential.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Pwingles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 am

if your pred is flipping beat or not, itll still be more stable than your Valk, and stepping up to a force from the valk isnt the answer whether you OAT'd your throw or not. Watch beatos vids, and bradley walkers vids and they should get you on the right track.

Dan is right tho the more you start reaching back the more unnecessary movements there are, that can lead to improper pull through and it all just adds up to less D and accuracy/ consistency. When you are really consistent in Beto's methods i suggest experimenting with some things to see what gives you more D but as a template Beto's compact and explosive method is a great tool and good advice. To me I equate it to a big league ball player hitting. They all start off flailing around with the bat as kids, making contact sometimes and sometimes not. Then when they get a little older a coach shows them a way of being more consistent. Then they do it over and over and over until they are really good at it. Eventually they combine that advice with their own personal touch that makes them individual. Like how some batters stand in the box with a unique stance, but essentially all swing the bat the same way.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Next

Return to Technique