Grenade throw?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grenade throw?

Postby Turbine712 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:46 am

I watched some training videos and the instructor mentioned "Grenade throw" when describing one of the disc's he uses. What is a Grenade throw and does anyone have any pictures or a video of this type of throw. I did a search on here and saw a picture of how the disc is gripped but not how the disc is actually thrown. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Turbine712
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cyclone

Re: Grenade throw?

Postby curt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 am

From what I understand you basically throw a spike hyzer. Throw it straight up in the air and it will come right back down and stop where it hits, or at least that's the idea.

For anyone else who is unfamiliar with the throw. The grip is simple. Grip the disc like you're throwing a regular spike hyzer, then turn the disc over so that your thumb is resting on the inner rim instead of on top of the disc.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 pm

yup its a cool throw to know, but it is rarely needed on the course. I use it occasionally when I have to enter a hole vertically, and a hyzer (coming in from the right) is blocked.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Pwingles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 am

What he said. When you use a more stable disc you are able to throw a bit higher and it will have a predictable left to right movement, so you need to release a little left of your target, more so if wind calls for it. You can use any disc for this type of shot, but understable or less stable discs have less success the higher you go in terms of accuracy because it takes less wind to knock them off track and a smoother throw to keep them on track. Its a great throw if you find youself having to get over a wall of trees or something like that. Worth learning IMO.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Return to Technique